1982, GS1100 no power over 4000rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982, GS1100 no power over 4000rpm

Hello gang, I need help. Just bought a 82' GS1100, the P.O. rebuilded the engine completely. New cylinders, pistons, valves. This bike was stored for 4 years. So of course I cleaned the carbs. It's running perfect at idles but bogs down at 4000 rpm.

The compressions is 150 and over on all cylinders.
    K&N pods.
    Needle is set a lowest setting.
    4 in1 Yosh
    carbs have .123 jets
    the carbs are sync..
    No inline fuel filter.
    No air leaks at boots.

What should I check next ???

If I under stand you correctly the needle is in the LOWEST setting or leanest setting. Try raising to the middle at least. maybe bring the main up to 130 also.
    Are the new bore and pistons stock size or a big-bore kit?

Comment

What size pilot jets are in it and where are the mixture screws? What throttle setting is it bogging at? The throttle setting is what determines the circuit you are on, not the rpm.

My 1100E has Emgo pods on it with a Kerker canister exhaust system and my settings are:

47.5 pilot jet
      Mixture screws at 3.0 turns out
      Canadian OEM needle in 3rd groove of 5
      142 mains

The 142's are a bit rich, I could go to 140's but left them in because it is insurance against cooking an engine on a hard run in spring or fall. The bike starts and idles very well and has buttery smooth throttle response everywhere and will bury the tach well past the 9500rpm redline in 5th.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Thehotbeast View Post
        Hello gang, I need help. Just bought a 82' GS1100, the P.O. rebuilded the engine completely. New cylinders, pistons, valves. This bike was stored for 4 years. So of course I cleaned the carbs. It's running perfect at idles but bogs down at 4000 rpm.

The compressions is 150 and over on all cylinders.
        K&N pods.
        Needle is set a lowest setting.
        4 in1 Yosh
        carbs have .123 jets
        the carbs are sync..
        No inline fuel filter.
        No air leaks at boots.

What should I check next ???
        There is no jetting numbered/sized 123?? Are you perhaps mistaken and its 120? or 122.5? They went in 2.5 increments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
          What size pilot jets are in it and where are the mixture screws? What throttle setting is it bogging at? The throttle setting is what determines the circuit you are on, not the rpm.

My 1100E has Emgo pods on it with a Kerker canister exhaust system and my settings are:

47.5 pilot jet
          Mixture screws at 3.0 turns out
          Canadian OEM needle in 3rd groove of 5
          142 mains

The 142's are a bit rich, I could go to 140's but left them in because it is insurance against cooking an engine on a hard run in spring or fall. The bike starts and idles very well and has buttery smooth throttle response everywhere and will bury the tach well past the 9500rpm redline in 5th.

Mark
          Are you running a baffle? 142.5s are big. I just pulled those out for 137.5s. I bet you could get that bike to SCREAM with smaller mains.
          Ever degree in the cams?

If you can't get the bike to run over 4000 I'd check the for a sticky mechanical advance. If you don't have one then check the igniter.

What do you mean by .123 jets?

Is this a shafty or chain?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The main jets are 125, mixture screw is 3 turns out.
            The needles are set at the lowest groove (first one from the bottom).
            Engine is at the first O.S.

After reading many post on this, I am starting to think that I need bigger main jets. 125 sounds small !!!

Yes I have the baffle on the 4in1,

Comment

Originally posted by Thehotbeast View Post
              The main jets are 125, mixture screw is 3 turns out.
              The needles are set at the lowest groove (first one from the bottom).
              Engine is at the first O.S.

After reading many post on this, I am starting to think that I need bigger main jets. 125 sounds small !!!

Yes I have the baffle on the 4in1,
              For comparison, a dynojet kit for my GS1000 puts 155 mains in it for pods and pipe, they are a smidge too big, I need to buy some 152.5 mains, but you can see how big they go with pods and pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                For comparison, a dynojet kit for my GS1000 puts 155 mains in it for pods and pipe, they are a smidge too big, I need to buy some 152.5 mains, but you can see how big they go with pods and pipe.
                He's got a 16 valve. Apples to oranges.
                But the needle on the fourth up from the bottom to start. This should get rid of the bog.
                I'd start with 130 mains.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Will try that this week and will let you know.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                  X