kick start question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kick start question

I'd like to know if there is a way I can add a kick start to my 80-81 gs450? I'm new here so I don't really know where to post this and my searches brought up nothing pertaining to my question. thanks

As they say "you can do anything with enough money", but your best bet would be that the lower end off an earlier model that had a kickstart fits, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Comment

what years? any links? has it been done?

Comment

Kickstarters pretty much disappeared from service in 80 on most manufacturers models. Some of the smaller displacement bikes continued to use them, I would guess untill the given company retooled for a design change. I happen to have an XS400 from 1982 that still has a kicker on it. But my 82 1100G doesnt. The last years for the kicker that im sure of on GSs were 78 and 79 for some models. Oddly, the 1000E, which debuted in 78, didnt have a kicker, while the 78 750, whose motor was the base of the design for the 1000, had one. The 850 had one in its debut year of 79, but lost it in 80, though the block still retained all the necessary bosses and what not for the kicker gearing. That changed in 82 for the 850, when they switched over to using the GS1000G block, which debuted in 80 or 81 (cant remember which) and eventually, in 82, became the GS1100G. So there were some points in GS history, where the blocks had the availabilty to use a kicker, just didnt come equiped with it. I do not know about alot of the smaller displacement bikes such as your 450, but there are a few owners on here who might be able to answer your question better than I. BUT, I *think* the 450 maybe started out life as the 300, then the 425, and then eventually became the 450cc motor. So its possbile at some point that it had a kickstarter, however, the big question would be whether or not any of those blocks would allow for the jugs and head to be bolted to them.

Comment

I've got the GS425E from 1979 that has a kickstarter as std. I think the GS400 had one as std also. The r/h engine cases are different on the 450 and the 425, so it's not as straight forward as you were hoping maybe. You may be able to pick up a wrecked 425 motor from somewhere and have a play around with it.

Comment

Wait a minute.... let's step back and look at this question a second...

What's wrong with your starter?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X