'78 GS750 Chain and sprocket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 Chain and sprocket question

I am in the market for a new chain and sprocket set. I know I need a 630 chain, but does it have to be O-ringed?

Another question, how many teeth are there on the front sprocket? Should I step down a tooth?

Where is a good place to buy from?

Thanks

Yes, you want an o-ring or x-ring chain. Non o-ring/x-ring chains wear out a LOT faster than their o-ring/x-ring counterparts.

Stock gearing on your bike is 15 teeth front, 41 rear. http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...el_uid=4962&p=

If you drop a tooth on the front sprocket, you'll get better acceleration but less top end speed. Vice versa on adding a tooth to the front Cruising RPM will be higher/lower too. Adding/subtracting one tooth to the front is about the same as adding/subtracting three to the rear.

Z1 Enterprises has great prices and service. You can get all the parts you need here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...750EC-1978-MP0
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

By all means buy an o ring chain. I bought a non o ring chain, and had to adjust it every week. Wore it out in a year of riding, about 5000 miles. I replaced it with a o ring chain and have put about 12,000 miles on it, and should get at least that many more. I have not had to adjust it much, about once every 2500 miles or so I tweek the adjustment a little.

Greg

Comment

On the links you posted I saw whee it said 630 to 530 conversion for the sprockets, does this mean with these sprokets I can run a 530 chain? I have a new one sitting in my shop....that would be nice.

Comment

Yeah, you can go with a 530 conversion. 530 sprockets and chains are cheaper and easier to find than 630 and the chains are a bit lighter. You'll want to go with a 17 front, 47 rear tooth sprocket to if you want to keep your gearing ratio stock and the sprocket diameters the same as your old 630 sprockets (so the chain won't drag on the swingarm).
          Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Your web links helped with my question on sprokets. Thanks! I have another question. Do you know if a 1980 gs550 can be lowered and how?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Yeah, you can go with a 530 conversion. 530 sprockets and chains are cheaper and easier to find than 630 and the chains are a bit lighter. You'll want to go with a 17 front, 47 rear tooth sprocket to if you want to keep your gearing ratio stock and the sprocket diameters the same as your old 630 sprockets (so the chain won't drag on the swingarm).
              Thanks 80GS1000! I didn't know any better, and back in March had a new 630 chain and two new sprockets with the stock gear ratio put on, and the bike ran great for a while. The chain the shop put on was a non o ring type and after about 4,000 miles, I'm due for a new chain already, so am going to go with the 530 conversion x-ring type. Also thanks for the note on keeping gearing ratio's the same.

Comment

Working...
              X