Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire question

78 GS750, stock rims. What is the widest rear tire I can run? Stock is a 120/90 18 right? I want a lower profile tire and wide, like a sport bike tire.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2008, 11:44 PM.

would a 130/80/18 be good?

Comment

Unlike more primitive four-wheeled forms of transport, wider is NOT better with motorcycle tires.

On a motorcycle, the curvature of the tread makes a big difference in handling. Stuff a wider tire on there, and it goofs up the tire profile and makes your bike handle like a turd.

4.00-18 translates to 110/90-18 in more modern tire sizes, although 120/90-18 might be OK too.

There are some who have invested great sums of money and time grafting later model sportybike swingarms, forks, and wheels onto their elderly bikes in search of that phat tire look.

Basically, if you want to go wider, your options are to either buy a sportbike or find a buddy with a machine shop and graft on sportbike suspension and wheels.

Or, and I know this is CRAZY talk, how about this... mount up the correct size tires and ride the snot out of your timeless classic motorcycle. You can get very modern, very sticky rubber (Avon AM26 RoadRider or Pirelli Sport Demon) in the correct sizes.

Stir in a bit of suspension work, learn to ride, and believe me, these old Suzukis will handle. Pay attention to your riding skills and you'll have no trouble staying ahead of or keeping up with the squids in the twisties.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The 130 will probably fit.
        The 80 profile will keep it about the same diameter as the 120.
        Do you care at all how the bike handles, or do you just want "the look"?
        A wider tire on a narrow rim will not have the stability that it really needs for proper handling.
        If you really have to have that really wide tire, you are going to have to do something to get a wider wheel in there, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ran a 130 rear on my 79 750E for the 40k miles I had the bike and had no problems with it. Use a sticky tire though, not a touring type. Anything bigger will not fit between the swingarm anyhow.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

....or find a buddy with a machine shop and graft on sportbike suspension and wheels.
            I have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously though, performance bias Pirelli Sport Demons or Avon Roadriders in a max 130 rear can make your GS handle quite well.

Michelin Pilot Power, Bridgestone BT002 RS or Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 radials with the right suspension components and steering geometry can make your GS handle even better, but that's a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I ran a 130 rear on my 79 750E for the 40k miles I had the bike and had no problems with it. Use a sticky tire though, not a touring type. Anything bigger will not fit between the swingarm anyhow.

Earl
              There you have it folks.

Earl, was that a 130/90-18 or a 130/80-18?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I guess I will just get the 120/90/18 for the rear and a 100/90/19 for the front...sound good?

Comment

Sounds good to me.

There have been MAJOR advances in tire compounds since these bikes were made, and the current batch of tires might even be better than the racing rubber that was available at that time. Get the right size tires, then "ride the snot" out of them as suggested.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

comparing 120/90 and 130/80, the 130 tyre will not be any wider than 120!
                    if you want the widest look possible you want a 130/90 tyre
                    GS850GT

Comment

What size rear rim is on the 750? The 850/1000/1100 bikes have a 2.5" rear wheel which accepts a 130 quite nicely - in fact, it's the GSR defacto standard tires size for those bikes. 120 is fine but I'd go 130 if the rim is wide enough.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

And I'll post it again...

Home Page for Steel Thunder Custom Cycles, aftermarket motorcycle parts and vehicle bill of sale forms.

Here is a tire conversion chart that will give you the measurements for each tire.
                        I went from a 120/90-16 to a 130/90-16. There is very little difference in the handling with that small of a change...but these guys are right. The wider the tire, the slower the handling. Start with a quality tire and a small size increase.

Measure the clearance from every angle. Not only do you have to worry about the swingarm rubbing, you've got the chain also.
                        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          comparing 120/90 and 130/80, the 130 tyre will not be any wider than 120!
                          if you want the widest look possible you want a 130/90 tyre
                          Actually, a 130 tire of any aspect ratio (the 90/80/70 part of the size) should be the same width, 130mm. The 90 aspect ratio tire will have taller sidewalls, roughly 90% of the width. The 80 aspect ratio will be roughly 80% as tall as it is wide, and so on. In actuality, the lower aspect ratio tires tend to be wider than the same width tire with a higher aspect ratio but that's what the numbers were meant to designate.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

120/90 is 4.50 to 4.75 inches wide.

130/90 is 5.00 to 5.10 inches wide.
                            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
                              120/90 is 4.50 to 4.75 inches wide.
                              .....or 120 mm.................

Originally posted by snark View Post
                              130/90 is 5.00 to 5.10 inches wide.
                              .......or 130 mm..............
                              IBA# 24077
                              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                              X