No announcement yet.

Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milimeters are too small for me to read on the ruler. Besides, this is the U.S.A...we haven't converted to the metric system yet.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
      comparing 120/90 and 130/80, the 130 tyre will not be any wider than 120!
      if you want the widest look possible you want a 130/90 tyre

Considering the 120 is 4.75 wide and the 130 is 5.120 wide, I think the 130 is wider. The over heights will stay near the same. The 130/80 and 130/90 will be the same width, just the 130/90 will be taller.

Edit:I am too slow for this forum....you guys are quick!

Comment

Like I said, I went from the 120/90 to the 130/90. I actually like it...and I can't tell you exactly why. The bike just feels a little better going straight and only slightly more steering effort.

Make sure you check the clearances. On paper there is little dfference...installed you'll be suprised at the difference.

The big thing is to buy a good quality tire. The size won't matter if the tire won't grip the road.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

not disputing anything said above...
          however:
          130/80 tyre (due to its lower profile sidewal) is going to be so squeezed on the 2.50 rim that WHEN MOUNTED is not going to be 10mm wider than the 120/90 tyre and is going to overall appear smaller/narrower than the 120/90 tyre

just try it if you dont believe it
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X