Its 530 to 630 conversion again...I need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its 530 to 630 conversion again...I need some info

The more I searched the more I became confused. I am attempting to put a 3/8 offset in my chain line for a larger rear tire. I will use a 530 size chain and sprockets. I noticed several said you need a 6mm spacer behind the front sprocket on a 1150 if you go to 530. My question is with the offset sprocket I shouldn`t need a spacer...correct? And all I should need to do is space the rear sprocket outward towards the swingarm 3/8 with a spacer behind each bolt...I will use grade 8 bolts. On the gearing issues...stock the 1150 uses a 15/42 with 630 chain....that works out to a 2.80 gear ratio. When I go to 530 I do Not want to use a small front sprocket...two reasons...chain bind and the pivot point on the swingarm. It is my opinion that you can go to small in the front and your chain will cut into your slide and the front of your swingarm. I notice that all the newer bikes run around a 16 tooth front. I`m thinking a 16 tooth front 530 is close in size to a 15/ 630...am I correct?? Then to gear at 2.80 I would need 16/45 which would be 2.81....am I correct again?? Well heck I`ve got one more question...why do you need the 6mm spacer to start with?? Is it because of how the front sprockets are machined?? Hope ya`ll don`t get tired of my questions! I`ve learned the hard way to many times...ask before doing! Thanks!!! Chris

Chris, in your case, totally disregard the 6mm spacer. You will need to get some piano wire to line up the front to the rear spocket. Make some shims to get the alignment where you need it on the front. Because you are going to a wider tire, off setting the rear sprocket, and putting on a 3/8 off set on the front, the 6mm spacer means little to your application.

Hap

Comment

Hap on my other bike if I go with 530 stuff on it why is the 6mm spacer needed?? Are the 530 front sprokets made without a shoulder or something??

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
        Hap on my other bike if I go with 530 stuff on it why is the 6mm spacer needed?? Are the 530 front sprokets made without a shoulder or something??
        Yes, the 530 sprocket doesn't have the shoulder. I'm currently looking for a 6mm spacer. I saw previously somebody mentioned getting several of the splined washers used on the outside of the sprocket and stack those on the inside of the sprocket to the needed thickness. I haven't measured the thickness of one of these to determine how many would be needed (or if they would come out nicely to 6mm).

Comment

Jt sprockets makes the spacer. It comes with thier conversion kit to 530 chain. I just read it in a catalog I have.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
            Jt sprockets makes the spacer. It comes with thier conversion kit to 530 chain. I just read it in a catalog I have.
            Do they show a website in the catalog? I couldn't find anything through Google.

Comment

About your gearing issue: chain will behave exactly the same as your old 630 with 15 teeth sprocket. The 530 is smaller giving the same geometry. The 750es 83-87 uses the same swingarm as the 1150 and that bike run stock 530 with, I think, 14teeth sprocket.
              Does Jt sprockets have a web page? Would be interesting.

Comment

Chris as I said in another post Igot my 530 conversion from an Oz company , but they told me the sprockets they would supply were the same as a GSXR750, as I recall 16/45 are the ones they supplied. GSXR sprockets are not shouldered and this is why the spacer.
                Dink

Comment

The 630 and 530 chains have the same dimensions link to link. The widths of the chains are different. When you calculate the sprocket ratios with a different rear wheel you have to factor in the new and old wheel diameters if you want the same final drive ratios. The 630 to 530 will have no effect other than an offset which you will need anyway with a wider rear wheel. The 630 and 530 sprockets will have the same diameters for the same number of teeth.

I needed a 5/8" offset sprocket on my conversion - it's an 1100 not an 1150. I also needed to notch the frame for clearance.

My front sprocket was available in only 1 tooth count 16 or 17 (I'd have to look it up) so the only calculation was for the rear. If you have choices - pick a tooth number for the front - then calculate the new rear sprocket.

pi*old_wheel_diameter*old_rear/old_front = pi*new_wheel_diameter*new_rear/new_front

The ordering makes no difference as long as you are consistent.

Simplify to

new_rear = (old_wheel_diameter/new_wheel_diameter)*(old_rear/old_front)*new_front.

I hope that's right anyway - it's late - at least that's my excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                    The 630 and 530 chains have the same dimensions link to link.
                    Sorry Swanny but this is not true. The pitches of these 2 chain types are different.
                    Thats why you need a lot more links when swapping from one to the other. I went from 98 links to 114 links. (For no change in sprocket diameter that is.)
                    I also went up in tooth numbers on the sprockets. (rear went from 41 to 45 for example.)

Comment

brit7.11 - My apologies - you are correct. That's what I get for relying on memory late at night. The 520 and 530 have the same pitch. I was confused - good that you caught that.

The 630 has a pitch of 19.04 and the 530 has a pitch of 15.875 (in mm). So, take the equation from the previous post and scale by 19.04/15.875 and then you should have the links.

Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                      X