slight problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slight problem

Here goes I have stripped down the engine to replace the head gasket and got it sorted. I was doing rather well and was feeling pleased with my self untill I went to replace the front cam chain guide it just wouldnt go in so WITHOUT using force pulled the chain up and the chain didnt lift as high as it should when I shone a tourch down there I could see the chain had become jammed does anyone know how to un jam this chain?

Whats it got jamed on?

There is a sprocket attached to the crank. There's a rear cam chain tensioner which is pushed by the cam chain tensioner, front chain slider that fits into the cylinder and teh chain. Thats it.

Did you remove the cam chain tensioner?

IF you have the head off it won't matter moving the crank to free the chain. BE carefull not to move it too far too fast and cause more problems.

Then line the timing marks up on 1-4 and having piston No 1 level with the top of the barrels.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks suzuki mad I rotated the engine and freed up the chain I have now got it lined up with the T mark in the window now to replace the cam shafts the front one is the exhaust. I line this up with the number 2 at the top with the chain taught. Then I count 20 chain pins and line up the inlet shaft (with the number 3 on it) so the number 3 is on the 20th chain lug does this sound correct?

Comment

Make sure you have the timing marks correct before starting this process.

The exhaust cam goes in first. DO NOT PUT THE TENSIONER IN YET.

There should be a mark (normally 1) that lies level with the cylinder head at the front with No 2 mark upright. (Its best to put a pair of mole grips on the cam shaft to help you.) You then count 20 pins from the No2 mark and that is where the No3 mark should be. Hold that cam shaft in place with a pair of mole grips while doing up the cam retaining caps.

1/ Don't overtighten them as you can strip the threads.
        2/ Make sure that you have oiled the head where the cams run or use moly paste to help before the oil pump gets oil up to the head. Important if you have fitted a new camshaft.
        3/ Fill the valve pockets will oil. Thats the bits where the cam lobes are and run on the buckets/shims.

NOW FIT THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER.

Once tight make sure the valve clearance is good. Oil up the engine and using the 19mm nut on the points cover turn the engine over by hand to get oil running through the oilways. (Some suggest about 50 turns.)

Have you had the sump off and checked the oil stainer? Did you change the inlet rubbers and 'O' rings before refitting the cylinder head?

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Working...
        X