Water in Gearbox ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in Gearbox ???

When I bought my GS1100 several years ago the gearbox oil was a disgusting tan/cream color when I drained it. I attributed it to moisture because the bike had sat for a number years without being ridden. I changed it recently and found the same thing. Assuming moisture is the problem what puzzles me is how it is getting in there??? The bike is always garaged, ridden on a regular basis, almost never driven in the rain, no gear box leaks, etc... Anyone else experience this???

I would change it again and monitor it more closely. It can't be moisture if the bike sees the conditions you describe.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

one of the common problems is the fuel tap and carb valve leaking fuel into the cranckcase
      any accumulated moisture would evaporate (through the cranckcases breather) in no time when the bike is ridden
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        one of the common problems is the fuel tap and carb valve leaking fuel into the cranckcase
        any accumulated moisture would evaporate (through the cranckcases breather) in no time when the bike is ridden
        I understand the issue with fuel leaking into the crankcase, but this probelem is specific to the gear box which makes it even more of puzzle.....

Comment

am i missing something

Originally posted by Gary Lich View Post
          I understand the issue with fuel leaking into the crankcase, but this probelem is specific to the gear box which makes it even more of puzzle.....
          so, you are reffering to the secondary transmission bevel gears?

you may have a leak between the two oil compartments
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X