Cam Timing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing Help

My bike: 1979 GS850. Lots of work done since it was last in on piece and ran. Rebuilt original Vm26 carbs as per the rebuild tutorial, valves were just redone. Valve clearances are all within spec. New petcock , new plugs wires, dyna coils, dyna s ign.

I just finished putting my bike back together and it won't start. The starter turns the engine but it doesn't sound like anything is happening.

I've checked for fuel and spark, both are present. I've doubled checked the ign timing.

I did compression test and was getting 100 psi in the cyl # 1 and about 70-75 in the other three. I called the motorcycle machinist that did my valves and said I should be getting about 150lbs. So timing must be off?

Here's some pics:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Should I just shift the intake cam one more pin, even though the count seems right?

As always any help is much appreciated.

The cams are timmed properly relative to each other. I assume you have the 1-4 T mark aligned on the crank?

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This is similar to my probs on the GS425 twin. So in the pics, is that correct if the 1-4T mark is lined up? I know that the intake camshaft will pull down when the tensioner is put on,lining up the marks parallel to the head and opposite each other.

Comment

Looks like you've got it right (I just did this yesterday on my 850). On the 850, there's an idler sprocket (what the Brits call a "jockey wheel") between the cams. It'll push the chain down a little further and the intake camshaft will be pulled into the correct relationship.

When you install the idler and the cam chain tensioner, everything will fall into place.

On the twins, I don't think there's an idler, so I think the number of chain pins is different. LOOK IN YOUR MANUAL!!! GS ENGINES ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!!!!

However on all GS engines that I know of, at the 1-4 timing mark (on every other crank revolution), the notches in the ends of the camshafts will be parallel to the head and facing one another. But the number of chain pins to count may be different. If you are too cheap to buy a manual, you could get the timing right by pure trial and error.
        Last edited by bwringer; 08-04-2008, 08:40 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'll double check my T 1-4 mark today. Just wanna make absolutely sure that the cam timing is not the reason why my bike won't start.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by justanother54321 View Post
            I'll double check my T 1-4 mark today. Just wanna make absolutely sure that the cam timing is not the reason why my bike won't start.

Thanks for the input
            Post a pic while you are at it so we can see too. I just checked my cams and they looked right and they are the same as yours.

Comment

Working...
            X