Stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator question

I have read though the stator pages and from my understanding the R/R is the flawed part that inturn destroys the stator. With that in mind if ones stator is not yet ruined could you just replace the R/R and give the stock stator more life or will it just fail?
    Thanks for the info this site is a wealth of information and should give other non GS owner envy to have such a support group.

Hi Mr. tommyboxes,

There are no absolute guarantees, but if your stator tests good, there's no need to replace it. If you'd like to go ahead and buy one to keep on hand, then that might give you a little more peace of mind. I have a spare stator and a spare r/r, just in case.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basically, the only real weakness in GS electrics are the El Crappo Supremo bullet connectors, most seriously the stator connectors.

When they corrode, resistance goes up and they overheat. What happens after that is a bit of a crapshoot. Depending on when you catch the problem, it can be anything from "Hm, voltage seems a bit low, better solder those stator connectors" to "Hm, I wonder where I can find a marshmallow and a stick -- might as well get some use out of this fire."

If your stator still tests good (proper AC voltage at 5,000 rpm), there's no reason to replace it. My original stator has 93,000 miles on it.

I believe the aftermarket stators can put out more current, so that might be a good enough reason to replace it, and keep the original around for a backup.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think the number one problem is the ground for the R/R. Increased resistance on this ground causes the stator to put out more and overheat. Not good.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I think the number one problem is the ground for the R/R. Increased resistance on this ground causes the stator to put out more and overheat. Not good.
          I will agree on the r/r ground being a problem, but will have to disagree that it will make it put out more.

The r/r works by shunting excess voltage straight to ground when a certain trigger level is acheived. When it is trying to shunt the excess voltage, it has to have somewhere to go. If it can't go to ground, it stays in the SCR (the electrical shunt valve) as heat. Eventually, this heat might destroy the SCR, and it can fail in one of two ways: shorted or open. If it is shorted, then all of the output goes to ground and you don't have any charging. If it is open, there is a good chance you will have high output voltage.

The principle remains: Make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight to minimize resistance. Resistance in an electrical circuit shows up as heat and a decrease in efficiency.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Happen like that for me

I just replaced my R/R. I bought an upgrade from a member here named Duaneage, and my stator is still fine. I'd only replace what is wrong at this time.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
            X