head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket

Head gasket question: is it necessary to change the head gasket whenever you take the head off? I'll order the head gasket, cylinder gasket and o-rings all at once, but just want to make sure. Is there a reasonable alternative?

I have read what I can here on changing heads and there's a lot of talk about valve work when the head is off, but not much about the gasket itself.

I'm in the midst of a head swap too, getting the new head ready now. If you pull the head, you have to replace the base gasket as well as the head gasket. The release of tension will probably make it leak when torqued back down.

Comment

The manual recommends it, but I'm not sure it's that hard-and-fast of a rule. I replaced the rings about 8K miles ago and didn't replace the head gasket. I torqued it down just slightly more than spec. No leaks, bike runs great.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM. Reason: add

Comment

There are some that say you can reuse an MLS head gasket but not the older types that compress when torqued down. A gamble probably if you do not change it.

Comment

I did a head gasket on a CB750 and did not replace the base gasket; thankfully, it is not leaking.

Comment

If you very recently replaced the head gasket and all, there's a chance you can re-use it.

If the head gasket has been in use for more than a few hundred miles, it will very likely be destroyed when you remove the cylinder head.

If the base gasket has never been replaced, there's a good chance it will leak if you don't replace it if you remove the cylinder head. If it's more recent, you can probably get away with it. The problem is that it's very tough or impossible to safely remove all the head gasket residue from the block without getting mung into the cylinders.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You didn't say why you had pulled the head off the bike, nor how long ago had the head been off previously.

As a standard its best to replace but thats not taking other factors into acount.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
              X