Hey all you clutch experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all you clutch experts

I was putting my new clutch on my Beast motor, and noticed in the factory drawing that there is a "cushion" that goes on the back of the backing plate into the little hole that you see here:

What is it? a metal pin? I can't find it in my parts. Do I need it? If so, why is it just on one side?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

I just had my clutch apart and it had that pin? thing in it . I could see the mark it made on the oil pump drive gear, I would think it is metal of some kind, but I have no idea what its there for.

Comment

hey bruce if you need one i still have that gs1000 motor with the clutch in it.we could pull it out and salvage it for parts.give me a call.

Comment

Rubber Nubber

I would stick one in. It must push against the oil pump gear?

This pic shows the old and the new.

Posplayr

Comment

Jims got it. It's a rubber cushion for the oil pump gear.
          Make one.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Aaaahhh, it's rubber...I couldn't quite tell from the pic. Thanks!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I'm not sure how well a home made one would hold up, so I ordered one. $1.91 from my local Suzuki dealer.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Mine was all mushed up when I put the clutch in the 1100...so I just left it out...
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  I'm not sure how well a home made one would hold up, so I ordered one. $1.91 from my local Suzuki dealer.
                  What a rip off!

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Mine was all mushed up when I put the clutch in the 1100...so I just left it out...
                  You've done it now.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

From posplayer's pic, it does look like they wear out. But it's there, so it must be needed. It's even in the 1150's clutch (same part number). I don't recall seeing it on my Skunk, but I'll have a look this winter to see if it's there.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

They don't use one on the 550, but the SKUNK will have one.

Comment

I made one from an o-ring, just snipped a piece the right length.
                        Less clutch rattle @ idle with it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                          I made one from an o-ring, just snipped a piece the right length.
                          Less clutch rattle @ idle with it in there.
                          you beat me to it! it is there for noise control, and to a extent to cut down on wear from the pump gear rattling around.

Comment

I finally received the cushion. Here's how it fits:

There's about 1mm of space between it and the inside of the case. Is that enough room?

Not too much more room with the stock one, but definitely more:

Look OK?
                            Last edited by renobruce; 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Does the cover go on? Looks like it won't. The clutch rack release looks like it's sticking out too much.
                              With the helical gear design I bet you bite the crankcase a little bit. I know mine did at one time.
                              Give it a whirl!
                              Last edited by chef1366; 08-14-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X