Headlight frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight frustration

So I decided to take a look at my headlight today to see if I could maybe replace the bulb to something brighter, but it seems the whole glass housing has to be replaced if the bulb burns out, and if this isn't the case, I sure as hell can't figure out how to get that dang bulb out.

What is really frustrating be is the glass lens has these three little metal clips that hold it into the metal housing and for the life of me I can't get these damn things back on. It's driving me crazy, I've been sitting here for hours in front of the TV holding the headlamp trying for awhile, getting frustrated and stopping, and trying again.

Has anyone dealt with these? Is there some special trick to make them go back on easily?

What bike?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1982 GS450GAZ. I got one back on a few hours ago, the other two are impossible, I've been trying since I got the first one on. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Comment

What sort of bike are you talking about?

Do you have a way to post a photo of what you're dealing with? Perhaps it is not stock or something. Your description doesn't sound familiar to me, but maybe it's a model I haven't worked on yet.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Part number 4 fits into part number 3 which is like a metal housing. Assembled 3+4 fits into part number 2 and then mounts onto the bike. Part number 4 is held into part number 3 by part number 7, and stupid little retaining clip. I swear to god this is the worst design EVER. Hold on and I'll get a real picture up.

Comment

Clip:

Headlight overall:

Clip Installed:

Comment

Its messed up, you have to like, stick one side of the clip into the holder, and then try to muscle the other side of the clip into the other holder. I've tried every pliers and vice grip I have and they all slip because the force needed to get the final side in is so great. Amazing I got the first clip in by hand but my thumb now has a large dent.

Comment

Alright, all three are on, I folded up a thick square of construction paper and put it in between the clip and my thumbs so I could apply more pressure without having to stop because it hurt my thumbs too bad.

I swear to god I will sell this bike before I ever replace a burnt out headlamp. This is so retarded, why would they make the head lamp all one big peice? Why not just make it so you only have to replace the bulb instead of a $40 glass lamp with a non removable bulb? Someone must have been hitting the Sake too hard when they designed my bike.

Comment

I rebuilt a 450 and had to put in a new headlight. I don't seem to remember it being that hard.
                  I do have a selected memory though.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

not the clearest photos

But it looks like you have put the clips on upside down. They will fit backwards but it is bl##dy hard work, as you have found. Its a bit hard to describe, but the clip centre curve sort of wraps around the lip of the lamp unit. Done that way they are still quite tight to get on, but nowhere as hard as they are when they are upside down.

Comment

Get yourself one of these. Then if it goes out again all you need to do is replace the bulb which cost around $10 and can be found at your local Walmart. Beats paying a dealer $41 for a glass lamp. I took one of those clips off once and I had a devil of a time getting it back on.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000165788/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000165788/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000165788

Comment

Working...
                      X