Runs great below 5,100 rpm or 70 mph??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs great below 5,100 rpm or 70 mph??

I have a GS 750E 1982. Problem started when I replaced the r/r which I did because battery went dead and test indicated r/r was bad way to many volts 18 plus at idle. I have many spare r/r parts put on one and bike charges fine, but now at 5,100 rpm surges and runs poorly?

What I've done so far is took carbs off and reset floats to allow more fuel into bowls, I also checked Signal generator to see if spring for advance was stuck, cleaned main jets again third time in two months all was fine! But problem persists-??

Is it possible that part of cdi circut is bad, Bike runs GREAT BELOW 5,100 RPM Plugs are pretty grey/tan beautiful!! I am befuddled.

Could a coil relay been damaged? Or that is nothing to solve this problem?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2008, 01:37 AM.

Put your bike in your signature so I don't have to ask again.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry The bike is a 1982 GS750E

What a Moron I am

Comment

How many volts are you putting out at 5000 rpms?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I don't know!!! I will have to check this weekend. Will that affect the performance?? as far as what I am experiencing? other than damaging wiring burning out bulbs and destroying the stator, what will the extra voltage do the the running of the bike. This a real question I want to understand the effects. The reason I ask is that before replacing r/r The voltage was way to high and performance was fine but battery went DRY. Burned that sucker up!! head lamp burned out, and two gauge lamps zapped. fixed them lights are fine now, or for now!

Chef 1366, With heavier valve springs can you now go past red line without valves floating??? Is that why you upgraded??
          Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM.

Comment

More fuel + weak spark = brick wall
            Are you sure you didn't burn out our igniter?

Comment

Last time I had this problem The CDI Ignitor Had no spark at all fried. I have another CDI Ignitor May be I should replace it???

Comment

Originally posted by rokacook View Post
                Last time I had this problem The CDI Ignitor Had no spark at all fried. I have another CDI Ignitor May be I should replace it???
                Can't hurt to try. Don't even mount it. Just unplug the old one and plug in the new.

Comment

I haven't been able to log onto site due to some nut must have hi-jacked the web link. But I tested output again at 5000 rpm and found 16+ volts I will need to buy new electex r/r

Comment

you can get an used and tested honda rr, a popular upgrade
                    search for a member here: "duaneage", he sells them
                    GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                    X