No announcement yet.

Plug vs. Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a little overboard to replace a $200 tire just because of a puncture. IMO, it depends of the location and size of the damage and how new the tire is. If you have a brand new tire that gets a small puncture in the center of the tread, patch it. That's common sense to me.

But, to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
      I think this thread is getting a little heated. Lets cool it down.

Like I always say, you can only change yourself, not others.

*i just use fix-a-flat!! like they say, "fix-a-flat, and forget it!!" eliminates needing a tire pump, too!!

1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        With all due respect, that seems like paranoia to me. The patch vulcanizes to the rubber tire. They become one. Do you have a $1k helmet or is your life worth less than $1k?
        You're entitled to your opinion (and I take no offense to it). I wouldn't call my position "paranoia," though - remember I said I WOULD use a plug or patch to carefully get the bike home if a puncture occurred. Call it "an excess of caution" and I'll agree to that. Truthfully I did a lot of things that were less than safe when I was young and impetuous but as time went by I began to realize that the best way to enjoy my love of motorcycling was to reasonably do it as safely as possible. The fact that I have a wife and two young kids also guides the choices I make.

Regarding your helmet example I would argue that it's apples and oranges. I DO have a moderately expensive helmet (a Nolan N100e) that passes all the important safety tests, and I DID choose to go with this helmet based on the experience and advice of people who considered it superior in a variety of ways to some of the other choices.

Now, with regard to your position on a vulcanized patch, NO patch is going to bring back the structural integrity that's lost when the tread and tire wall are compromised, so whether it bonds together and holds as one unit really is irrelevant to whether the tire is as safe in its repaired state as it was before the puncture. I will grant you that chances are (as Brian already alluded to) that the repair will hold up just fine. I'm simply not willing to bet my life on it versus the relatively inexpensive cost of a new tire.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
          I think it's a little overboard to replace a $200 tire just because of a puncture. IMO, it depends of the location and size of the damage and how new the tire is. If you have a brand new tire that gets a small puncture in the center of the tread, patch it. That's common sense to me.

But, to each his own.
          On a car tire I'd agree with you 100%, but on a bike tire it's just not worth the risk. $200 is certainly NOT a lot of money to spend to be 100% sure you have the most important link between you and the road in perfect shape ... it's about the cheapest insurance you can buy to hedge your bet.

Ride Safe, and
          Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
            I will grant you that chances are (as Brian already alluded to) that the repair will hold up just fine. I'm simply not willing to bet my life on it versus the relatively inexpensive cost of a new tire.
            Fair enough. Too bad our bikes use different sized tires or I'd take care of your patched tire disposal problems. I bought a Shoei helmet but mainly because I like the contrast of expensive gear with a cheap increasingly-ratty bike. I think my last HJC was just as safe, just not as good.

Comment

Fair enough. Too bad our bikes use different sized tires or I'd take care of your patched tire disposal problems.
              Thankfully I've never had one (knocks on fake wood - my head - hehe)

I bought a Shoei helmet but mainly because I like the contrast of expensive gear with a cheap increasingly-ratty bike. I think my last HJC was just as safe, just not as good.
              I would guess that you're probably right. I originally bought two Nolans, but my wife didn't find it comfortable so it was replaced with a similar HJC.

Regards,

Comment

Sorry this opened a can of worms that I didn't want to get started. I am going to replace the tire, but it will be a couple of weeks till then. I was just disappointed that I didn't even get 2K out of the tire. It is almost center on the tire so I thought that a patch would work till I could afford a new tire. The plug I was leary about because of the tit that would be left out of the tire.

On the lighter side, where did you find $45 tires at? The place that I bought the tire at said that the tire I have is on back order till September. And that tire was the cheapest that I found at $68! Add on the mounting & balancing at $24, that gets expensive quick.

Comment

Originally posted by etravis2 View Post
                  Sorry this opened a can of worms that I didn't want to get started. I am going to replace the tire, but it will be a couple of weeks till then. I was just disappointed that I didn't even get 2K out of the tire. It is almost center on the tire so I thought that a patch would work till I could afford a new tire. The plug I was leary about because of the tit that would be left out of the tire.

On the lighter side, where did you find $45 tires at? The place that I bought the tire at said that the tire I have is on back order till September. And that tire was the cheapest that I found at $68! Add on the mounting & balancing at $24, that gets expensive quick.
                  No need to apologize ... these threads are always useful because it gets people thinking about things they may never have given a second thought to in the past. I am a MUCH safer rider (on a variety of levels) than I was before I became a member of this fantastic forum. It's all good!

Having said that, I would still recommend a quality tire with a good reputation. The best combination of performance for the price is probably the Avon Roadrider, at least based on the reviews by other GSR'rs who've used a variety of brands/models and who push their bikes aggressively.

Regards,

Comment

i plugged a front tire on a ninja in the mid 80s and rode on it a year with no problems , but ive grown up and i dont think id plug a front tire again . why has no one brought up putting a tube in it , i got a nail in a 180 60 16 venom x avon and just patched the tire and put a tube in it .

Comment

Originally posted by etravis2 View Post
                      On the lighter side, where did you find $45 tires at?
                      Close, but not quite $45:
                      Tires Unlimited (<-- click the link)
                      Cheng Shin Hi-Max.

130/90-16 $58.23
                      130/90-17 $63.77
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Plug Vs. Patch Vs. Buy a tire

I have worked with plugs, patches, and the combination Plug/Patch in the auto industry for years. The salesguy who stocked our tire machine supplies used to roll up in this old Dodge beater with like 50 to 60 plugs sticking out of his tires. They were all messy, and sticking out of the sidewalls etc. It was supposed to make us have faith in the products he sold I assume.
                        My best guess is that if you ask any motorcycle tire manufacturers, they would not recommend using either plugs, or patches in their tires for a long term repair...
                        I would go the route of most other contributors. Plug, patch, heck wrap it with Duct Tape even.....Just to get Home Safely.
                        Then, before riding again, replace the tire completely. It is (relatively cheap) insurance that you may have the opportunity to visit this site and post again someday.
                        I've had a rear tire blow out on my 1973 gt750 water buffalo years ago, and it was no fun at all. Had way more than 100 bucks in damage to the bike, and some road rash as a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X