Cv carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cv carb question

When you lift the slides on CV carbs to the top of their travel and release them, should each of them fall down at the same speed. If one is slower than the other three what is likely to be the problem?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2008, 08:03 AM.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    When you lift the slides on CV carbs to the top of their travel and release them, should each of them fall down at the same speed. If one is slower than the other three what is likely to be the problem?

In my experience re-building my carbs the simple solution was to clean the slides with spray carb cleaner, and also clean the bore they rest in. Do not !!!! spray any WD40 or other lubricant it will only gum it up and keep it in the wide open position.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes they should. Check the springs in the top are matching.. you could swap two around to double check if that's the issue. I would think it's likely to be varnish on the slides that's the problem.

You could also try swapping slides from bore to bore to see if you can find one that it slides better in... I've done that before. Tolerances I assume. You can mark a number on the slide with a black marker pen if you want to keep track of where they originally came from - won't do it any harm, I've done that too.....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

remember there are springs pushing the slides back, so as long as the slides slide freely the little difference in how they drop in by gravity only doesnt matter that much
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          remember there are springs pushing the slides back, so as long as the slides slide freely the little difference in how they drop in by gravity only doesnt matter that much
          This is with the springs in place and tops on the carbs.

Comment

Thanks Dan I will try swapping the springs around and the slides also to see if I can work out the differences by process of elimination. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              This is with the springs in place and tops on the carbs.
              in that case i'd suspect some slides may be a little stuck
              carb cleaner on a piece of cloth and a bit of rubbing on the piston and bore should hopefully see you right, unless theres some deformation on the slide
              GS850GT

Comment

And if it doesn't drop at all you forgot to put the spring back in!

Done that one.

Comment

Working...
                X