Bike Revs Wicked High on Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Revs Wicked High on Start

Ok --I just did a Cafe Conversion on my 1983 650L-Shaft drive-I painted,changed out the bars,new blinkers and seat-Bike was running PERFECT before I did all of this about 2 weeks ago-Now after finnaly getting it started its like the throttle is stuck-Its not stuck but the thing is Reving at like 4500 rpm-I did empty the carbs to see if any crap was in them and a little of the color paint I was using came out for like 1 sec than they ran clean=- The throttle is not stuck or twisted -When I give it gas though it bogs out--I again didnt touch or adjust anything to cause this! I just made it look nice!! Help!!!

Did you install pods? The changes you did should not affect the way it runs, but it sounds like there is fuel air problem, That being said, If you start it with the choke, it will rev 5grand easy. Once you wean it off the choke the idle will return to 1000-1200. If you haven't changed the airbox out, then I would examine the carb installation to see where it is drawing air.

Comment

From the sounds of it, there is a possibility that your throttle cable is pinched or poorly adjusted with the new bars.

Comment

Is your choke stuck on somehow? That will cause the RPMs to stay high on start, and if you try to rev before it's warmed up, it will also bog. Just an idea.

Comment

Some bikes need full choke, some bikes need 1/2 choke, some bikes need less than that.

Play with different settings of the choke knob/lever to see where it starts without revving sky high, then, as it warms up, keep the revs down by reducing the choke amount. Until the bike is on minimal choke and ready to ride, any throttle that you apply will defeat the choke, so only control your engine speed with the choke knob/lever.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X