Help on cv carb slides & diaphragms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on cv carb slides & diaphragms

I picked up some 32mm BS CV carb parts and bodies for cheap. These slides and diaphragms were included with needles with the five grooves (Mikuni needles). But the slides are black and not silver as the ones are that are currently in my present carbs. They fit my carbs OK, no probs. Also the diaphragm springs are larger and appear to have less tension than my smaller diameter ones on my 650 carbs.

Can anyone tell me which carbs or bike they might have come off.

Nearly impossible to say. I picked up a set with black slides also. As I recall, the carbs came off an early 80' model Kawasaki (as I recall).

As you stated, the slides will work fine......but you'll be changing a fundamental operating parameter if you use/change the springs.

Comment

Yes don't change the springs, use your stock ones & also the stock needles.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My GS1150 carbs have black slides.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          My GS1150 carbs have black slides.
          Thanks CHEF

Comment

My 83 gs750ed has black slides, also grooved needles, and springs look the same.
            S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
              My 83 gs750ed has black slides, also grooved needles, and springs look the same.
              S.
              SILVERHORSE where do you hail from.

Comment

Don't mean the hijack thread but how do you clean the slides and diaphragms during a carb rebuild? Have to think the carb cleaner chemical would eat them up.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GLMZZR View Post
                  Don't mean the hijack thread but how do you clean the slides and diaphragms during a carb rebuild? Have to think the carb cleaner chemical would eat them up.

Thanks.
                  Clean the slides with spray carb cleaner on a rag. Clean the diaphragms with WD40.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    Clean the slides with spray carb cleaner on a rag. Clean the diaphragms with WD40.
                    Great! Just the info I needed Don. Have my first carb soaking overnight and I sat the slide/diaphragm off to the side until I figured out what to do with it.

Comment

The few sets of GS carbs I have worked on all had metal slides, but the slides for my son's Yamaha Venture Royale were black plastic.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The few sets of GS carbs I have worked on all had metal slides, but the slides for my son's Yamaha Venture Royale were black plastic.

Steve these slides are metal when you look at them from the base where the needle pokes through but the sides of the slide seem to be coated in some type of plastic it seems like. The guy I bought them off said they were from a 750 Katana from 83-86, but I cant find a fiche for those years for a Katana.

Comment

Use the black slides if the diaphragms are good with the old springs and jetting.
                          You'll be fine.

That's what Dan said
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Use the black slides if the diaphragms are good with the old springs and jetting.
                            You'll be fine.
                            Thanks CHEF. Yes the diaphragms are in good condition so I will use them. What is the effect if I use stronger or weaker springs on performance?

Comment

The springs are designed to lift the slides at a quicker or slower rate. It depends on the airbox, timing, intake valve size and the size of the combustion chamber to determine the rate it will accept fuel.
                              If you feel you need a quicker throttle response you could try the weaker springs but you might have to change the jet needle setting. We just tell you to keep it stock to keep it simple.
                              You could join me in an insane jetting adventure if you'd like, even though my adventure is coming to an end.
                              You try putting different carbs on a bike that no one seems to have the same set up. What a nightmare! Especially when you have a petcock that is new but starving your float bowls. I think I finally caught my tail!

Comment

Working...
                              X