How much drag is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much drag is too much?

I just took apart/cleaned out the rear brake caliper on my '77 GS750. While I already had it apart, I threw on some new pads I had.
    So here is my question. With NO pressure on the system, (its still dry, i havent even put fluid in) there is a lot of brake drag. I can turn the wheel by hand, but it won't spin freely. I've experienced a little drag putting new pads on bikes before, but this seems a little much. Just wondering, from everyone else's experience. How much drag is too much?

By the way, I'm still trackign down banjo boly washer before I can seal it up, fill, and bleed it.

Wait until you actually have bled the brakes and bedded them into the caliper before worrying about that. They could be slightly cocked and causing the drag. My 2 cents worth...

Comment

Thats kinda what I'm thinking, too, but that's why I like to have a soundboard to bounce stuff off from time to time. Thanks

Comment

When you get to bras and girdles, that's too much drag.

+1 on what Quandryon said.

BTW-you did lightly sand the rotor with fine sandpaper to remove the brake pad residue from it, right?
        Believe it or not, there is material from the old pads on the rotor which will glaze the new pads if not removed.

Comment

Working...
        X