Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive spring spacer on an '83 GS1100ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive spring spacer on an '83 GS1100ed?

Hey all,
    I'm just double checking the instructions that came with my progressive fork springs before I install them. It has no recommendation for spacer length for the 82-83 1100 so I assume that means one isn't needed? What have y'all done with your setup? I did a search but couldn't come up with anyone else's setup on this bike. I am 170 lbs and am not afraid of a slightly stiffer front end. I'm thinking of going with 15w fork oil too. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Josh

PS: I also don't have the manual for this bike. Can someone tell me the oil volume/height for these forks? I assume they're the same as the 1150 which should be 268ml. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM.

I used no spacer. The pre load adjusters on top of the forks are enough. There is a cap with an oring between the adjuster and the spring. Grease up those pre load adjusters real good. Mine had a little corrosion. Set them to the lowest setting to get them back on. Still takes a little grunt to get them started. I used a 3/8 drive socket and extension. Dont cross thread em. I set my preload on top to 2 and dampening on the bottom to 2 with 10 wt oil. Works pretty good and sucks up rail road tracks with out rattlin my bones.

Draining oil from the lower drain holes is a mess. Make a couple oil catchers out of plastic bottles. Just cut a notch in the bottles and tape or wire them over the drain holes. Use ATF or WD40 to flush out the forks before adding the fork oil. It takes a little time to fill, pump, flush, drain.... I added a cup (8oz) of 10wt to each fork.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

On my GS1100ED

Read the notes on the Progressive springs. For the 82/83 GS1100E no spacer is required.

Add in the Racetech emulators ($175) with the Progressives and it is a wonderful firm/smooth ride. I'm 195 lbs and Chef at 300 lbs rode very nice at the lowest preload setting. Also Pirrelli Sprot Demons and 15 wt oil. See this thread. I think I set fluid level based on stock levels (measured from the top) from the manual.

Anti dives and OEM fork damping is now disabled.

You also might find some cheaper ones like these. The ones I got I'm hoping to fit into a GS750E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...239483807&rd=1

Posplayr
      Last edited by posplayr; 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The springs and 15w fork oil are installed and damn it's a lot stiffer. I have to take it out for a spin still but had a quick question. I have the 80-81 gs1100 manual and the 84-85 GS1100/1150 manual but don't have anything that covers the '83 specifically. I set the oil height to 210mm per the 84-85 manual which was a little bit less than the 268ml volume that I used to fill the tubes. Makes sense since there's probably a little in oil still in the forks. Can anyone double check my numbers with a real '83 manual?

Also, how the Hell do you adjust the preload after the springs are in?? I can't push them in at all. The adjusters were cleaned and moved freely. I doubt I need it to be any higher than the first setting but would like the option.

Lastly, is there any way to lower the front on these bikes since they have the air assembly on the front stopping me from pushing the fork tubes any higher than they are in the triples. Sorry for being so wordy. Thanks for any advice.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Read the notes on the Progressive springs. For the 82/83 GS1100E no spacer is required.

Add in the Racetech emulators ($175) with the Progressives and it is a wonderful firm/smooth ride. I'm 195 lbs and Chef at 300 lbs rode very nice at the lowest preload setting. Also Pirrelli Sprot Demons and 15 wt oil. See this thread. I think I set fluid level based on stock levels (measured from the top) from the manual.

Anti dives and OEM fork damping is now disabled.

You also might find some cheaper ones like these. The ones I got I'm hoping to fit into a GS750E.

Posplayr
          That bike corners like a dream. Copy whatever Jim did and have a great ride!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

From the 82 GS1100EZ manual

I dont have the ED insert either but the 82/83 are the same as far as I know.

Fork Oil #15
            capacity 246 ml

Oil Level 195 mm (7.7 in)
            Measured with the forks fully compressed.

Becasue of my fork brace, I had to use a clamp to get them to bottom against the rubber dust covers.

You probaly dont need them any stiffer. Use some zip ties on the forks to see how far down they go on hard ridding.

I followed Joe Nardy and Marks setups on the other link.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
            X