No announcement yet.

super cheap/ easy LED tail/turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought those were light assemblies, I saw them at princess auto, and considered using them to stick in the stock assemblies. But I have square signals and would need to use the rectangualr marker lights.

Comment

They make rectangle ones too. I have 2 of them I was going to play with. My front turn signals are rectangle ones from a honda, only difference is they only have 3 LED's in them, still pretty bright though. I can get you the part # if you want. Oh, and they are clear lens with white LED's but I'm sure they make them in amber, I do know they make them in red. I'll put a pic of one up tomorrow, need sleep now.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty boltz View Post
        Anyway are you ready for this.... these are semi trailer lights. The tail/brake light is just a tail/brake light for a trailer. There are resistors built in so it was plug n play ( actually more like cut your plug, connect to the light, then plug n play) but it took maybe 30 minutes to do the tail. The signals are 2" round marker lights hot glued in the housing and the tag lights are just cheap pilot led's from advance auto. The tail light is awesome. It was so easy (for me anyway).
        First remove everything from the stock tailight (wiring, sockets, glass reflector, etc. You'll have to cut the wires to get the socket out so cut it as close to the socket as possible cuz youll need the connector unless you want to hardwire it.
        Then drill the 2 (or as many as you want) holes for the tag light in the lens
        Then connect (I used sealed butt connectors) the three wires for tail/brake lamps to the stock connecter from the tail lights, also keep in mind trailers use white as ground and black as power kinda like yer house and thats how this led is wired.
        Then connect the gray wire and black/white wire to the led's for the tag lights. Mount them first it's easier and make sure you wire them parallel.
        The tail/brake led unit actually sandwiches perfectly between the lens and housing no special mounting required, so position it then crank the screws in slowly and evenly so it doesnt shift and so you don't crack the lens.
        Plug it back in and check it before re installing.
        All together there is five wires you need to connect and the only real modification is drilling the holes for the tag lights. I used the stock connector so I can easily remove the unit and don't have to hack the wiring on the bike. This is alot easier than I make it sound and the end result is 12 led's in my factory tail light that I will never have to change again and it puts less load on the electrical system (the lights used to dim with the stock lamp when I hit the brake). Oh and the tail/brake led unit was from napa, i'll get a part # later today. These lights are super tough we've used them for 2 years now on our contruction equipment and I've never ever had to replace one. If anyone wants to do this to their bike feel free to ask any questions. If you have a pristine condition GS for God's sake leave it alone unless you have an extra taillamp assembly to do it to. Thanks for lookin!
        Edit: And the turn signals DO trip the flasher 100% plug n play! still for sale only the rear though.
        The minute I saw the oval outline in your pics I suspected those were truck lights - hehe! Excellent "out of the box" thinking!

So I have a question for you ... do you still have the rubber grommets and electrical plugs that generally come with those lights? I have two that were acquired a few years ago (the led lights themselves) and I'd like to use them on a trailer I just got, but need the rubber surrounds to mount them. Let me know, thanks! Most places sell them only as a kit with the lights, and the few online sources for the rubber want an arm and a leg for them.

Let me know, thanks!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
          The minute I saw the oval outline in your pics I suspected those were truck lights - hehe! Excellent "out of the box" thinking!

So I have a question for you ... do you still have the rubber grommets and electrical plugs that generally come with those lights? I have two that were acquired a few years ago (the led lights themselves) and I'd like to use them on a trailer I just got, but need the rubber surrounds to mount them. Let me know, thanks! Most places sell them only as a kit with the lights, and the few online sources for the rubber want an arm and a leg for them.

Let me know, thanks!

Regards,
          Yes I have them. And I only want an arm for them. Leave a PM we'll work something out, since you're not that far from me in Chicago you could pick them up. Would be a nice ride.
          If enough people want to do try this on their bikes I have access to the supplier through my work. I could order a small bulk and have them available to anyone who wants to try it. Maybe even make a pre assembled kit. I never added in this thread that this is completely reversible except the 2 tiny holes I drilled. So if you decide you dont like it you can fairly easily go back to stock. I don't think that anyone would though cuz it looks awsome! I gotta put a pic of it at night up. The LED tag lights also light up the ground behind the bike like 5 feet wide making me very visable from behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

Let me know, thanks!

Regards,
            Yes I have them. And I only want an arm for them. Leave a PM we'll work something out, since you're not that far from me in Chicago you could pick them up. Would be a nice ride.
            Excellent - sounds like a plan, thanks! I'll shoot you a PM with my phone # and we can figure it out.

Regards,

Comment

If enough people want to do try this on their bikes I have access to the supplier through my work. I could order a small bulk and have them available to anyone who wants to try it. Maybe even make a pre assembled kit. I never added in this thread that this is completely reversible except the 2 tiny holes I drilled. So if you decide you dont like it you can fairly easily go back to stock. I don't think that anyone would though cuz it looks awsome! I gotta put a pic of it at night up. The LED tag lights also light up the ground behind the bike like 5 feet wide making me very visable from behind.

So what might it cost through your supplier? And do you have the part#?

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X