No announcement yet.

Oil Pressure Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, if the bike is really hot (while riding) and when I stop at a light and the pressure is between .5 and 1 psi at idle, I shouldn't worry about that? Nessism, you said yours goes that low sometimes as well?
    mine does that ...sits down real low at idle when hot , but runs up to about 10 to 12 psi when im nailing it and sits at about 7 to 8 psi when cruising. i dont have an idiot light as the sensor had to go to make way for the external head feeds .
    i have an £80 glycerin filled gauge plumbed in thru the headstock and out the top nut ...so i can see it whilst riding . thing is these beasties have roller bearing cranks which run on a gnats fart ofpressure anyways , so i wouldnt worry about the low pressure reading at standstill. id worry if that were the case whilst you were motoring

Comment

here you can see the head feeds ...whose adapter plate kinda stops you using a pressure sensor. so i plumbed in off the rear gallery up through the steering stem to the bars for the gauge

works pretty good

Comment

Nice photos Saffa!

Renobruce...thanks for the pressure gauge. Mine works just fine. Drops right back to 0 with bike off. Needle holds steady and it's easy to read.

Happy Riding

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
          I connected with Terry, and he told me to change out the O ring that sits on the Hex ended sensor module. Come to think of it, mine was pretty smashed (no longer a nice rounded O ring, it was a flat ring ) so I had to screw it in pretty tight to seat it and keep it from leaking oil.

So I put a beefier O ring on and screwed in the sensor module (thus reducing the oil pressure need to push it open...ie. shortening the distance by moving the sensor out a little). Then, voila.., no more oil light turning on or flickering.

I let the engine warm quite a while. Initially, with choke on, pressure surged up to 12 psi. dropping back to 4 then 3psi with choke of. It ran 3 psi quite a while then dropped back to about 2psi but not much less!

So I think it is all working quite like it should !

Thanks everyone for all the great help!

Thanks Terry for the final solution!!!!!!

Rick
          No worries Rick, sorry I haven't been around much of late, I've been working away from home during the week and busy making Honda CB750 oil cooler adapters to send to the US on weekends, and I didn't even realize you'd started a thread on the subject.

It was interesting to read some of the theories and possible solutions raised by the guys here, sadly, unless you're actually looking at something and don't really understand how it works, it's easy to get way off base, I guess.

I'm glad you contacted me for the solution, something as simple as a worn out O ring could have caused you to spend a lot of time testing theories that wouldn't have helped at all.

I bought one of RenoBruce's 20 dollar VDO oil pressure gauges too, and it looks great! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Thanks for the adaptor and cooler Terry! I have been riding alot (starting commuting this week) and the cooler works great!

I gladly recommend your adaptors and work to anyone!!!!!

Cheers!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
              Thanks for the adaptor and cooler Terry! I have been riding alot (starting commuting this week) and the cooler works great!

I gladly recommend your adaptors and work to anyone!!!!!

Cheers!

Rick
              No worries Rick, if you're happy, then so am I! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Working...
              X