Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pic of a r/r for gs650G?

i don't know what the darn thing looks like.... a little background:

i got this bike about a month ago....it had starting problems right off. the battery was dry, so i replaced it. increasingly was again having trouble starting, so last night i put a battery tender, and sure enough, the battery took quite a few hours of a charge.

so, my hope that my starting troubles were due to a dry battery didn't work out. this weekend i will try to get into the stator papers and try to figure if it's my stator or r/r. i have my multimeter ready to go, but i don't know what the heck it looks like. i'm assuming it's in fairly close proximity to the battery box? and i figured i'd try first to ensure that the r/r is grounded to the neg terminal.

please forgive my newbie question.

On most of the models I have seen it's bolted to the bottom of the battery box. Go look at the schematic for yourt bike at the website of one of the online parts houses, that will show you.

Comment

If you go to BassCliff's 'little' website, there is a page there that deals with R/R replacement. Lotsa good pictures there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks. i forgot those resources.

Comment

Yes, checking the charging voltage would be a good idea.

If battery was dry, maybe the charging system is overcharging (like well over 14.5 volts) and that is causing battery to "dry out".

About finding the R/R... I think that on the 650g, that I had, the r/r is like most others in that it is mounted under the bottom of the battery box. But getting your fingers and eyes on the R/R isnt what you need, not yet anyway. You can check charging voltage by measuring at the battery. And then the other checks as described in stator papers you still dont need access to the r/r itself (nor the stator itself), what you need is to find the connectors between the stator and the r/r and the wiring harness. Need to take apart those connectors. Usally behind the left side plastic side cover.

PS I had 82 GS650G from 82 till about 2004. Never had to do much repair with it. Have often wondered were it went. And it was black like in your avatar.
          Last edited by Redman; 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

So the fun begins lol. Like the other post said a dry battery usually means its been over charged, or the PO just keep charging it to make it run and you have a charging problem. I'm sure you will be fine hopefully its something simple like a poor connection. When I get my beast back together I would like to take a fall leaf peeping ride up ur way maybe we could hook up. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X