SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system

Have any of us used the SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system? It is really cool; makes the rear directionals running lights which flash when braking http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

Anyhow, I just installed it. I now have amazing running/brake lights - but my directionals do not work! Everything is installed per directions: http://www.soundoffrec.com/docs/rqt0...0ov1fqlqm9.pdf

Can anyone with experience with these lights tell me what might be wrong? Much appreciated!
    Steve Poole
    North Berwick, ME

Originally posted by stevepoole1 View Post
    Have any of us used the SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system? It is really cool; makes the rear directionals running lights which flash when braking http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

Anyhow, I just installed it. I now have amazing running/brake lights - but my directionals do not work! Everything is installed per directions: http://www.soundoffrec.com/docs/rqt0...0ov1fqlqm9.pdf

Can anyone with experience with these lights tell me what might be wrong? Much appreciated!
    Steve Poole
    North Berwick, ME
    If the new lights are led or otherwise draw less current than stock then your signal flasher won't work. There is a mod to get around this, but you'll have to search for it.

Comment

Steve,

Diagram looks simple. Did you cut the turn signal lines or tap into them? Maybe the thing doesn't draw enough juice to make the relay go... Check your connections. Was there ever any warning?

Comment

Rear Running Lights

Thanks, Doc - all my lights are stock. Any idea what might be causing this?

Comment

I cut them, I don't trust tapping. Everything worked great prior to installing - just an hour ago.

Comment

well, I see that in the diagram, you are supposed to cut the turn signal lines completely and route the circuit through the box. The brake lights, on the other hand, you are supposed to tap into the circuit, not re-route it.

Comment

I hear that, but I accomplished the same thing by joining the wires, there really was no re-routing.

Comment

Are the turn signal harness side cable and lamp side cable still making a connection? This connection should be directly through the box.

Comment

yup, they are through the box.

Comment

Shoot. Well, i'm wondering if the box wants to make the lights flash too, so there are two flashers going at once. From here, I'm stumped as I don't know how that works.

Comment

yeah, me too. Thanks for pondering the dilemma with me, though!
                      sp

Comment

Originally posted by stevepoole1 View Post
                        Thanks, Doc - all my lights are stock. Any idea what might be causing this?
                        For the box to do what it does, it takes over the flashing of the signals attached to it.
                        As far as the load on your flasher relay in concerned, the rear signals no longer exist.
                        So your flasher doesn't have enough load to flash.

Get a heavy duty flasher relay, which won't care about the load.

Comment

Tom MLC has that set up. Ask him how he did it. I followed him a few times and it is cool!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. stevepoole1,

Are you still using the stock turn signal flasher unit? The OEM units are very particular about the load they want to see. You might have to install an automotive flasher, an electronic flasher that doesn't care about the total resistance. I did this recently to my bike when the turn signals failed. Read about it by clicking here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great advice! Thanks. I continue to be amazed at what a great gift this forum and its members are to me - thanks again!
                              sp

Comment

Working...
                              X