No announcement yet.

SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and Cliff, did I mention...You Da MAN!

Comment

Steve, I've re-read this a couple of times. Let me get this straight. So your brake lights AND your rear sigs pulse when the brake is applied? AND your rear sigs are now running lights? Which leaves the rear sigs as the only thing not functioning properly. Is this correct?

When you turn the sigs on, do the fronts come on & stay on, ie no flash? Maybe that flasher unit is the problem as others have said. I did not have to replace mine. But it's an easy & cheap fix. Get a heavy duty flasher from the local auto store. You probably hafta zip tie it to the frame somewhere.

If that doesn't work, I'd be interested in matching your bike schematic to mine. Maybe there's a clue somewhere. I sent you my e-mail addy in another message. Let's see if we can put our heads together.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepoole1 View Post
        Oh and Cliff, did I mention...You Da MAN!

Steve, be sure to check your local laws about having any light remaining aluminated that is not red on the rear of a vehicle.

Comment

Good word RE: the laws, Shafty. I believe it is OK here but I will double check to be sure. Sure would be ironic if this was all for nothing due to local state laws!

Tom, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I am out for a meeting tonight so I will be off-line till Friday. While I am out, I am going to snag an electronic auto flasher, since so many of the guys have suggested it. I will wire that in and get back to you with the results. Thanks again!
          steve

Comment

Tom, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I am out for a meeting tonight so I will be off-line till Friday. While I am out, I am going to snag an electronic auto flasher, since so many of the guys have suggested it. I will wire that in and get back to you with the results. Thanks again!
            steve
            Steve, don't waste your money on a high priced electronic flasher. All you need is one of the el-cheapo round silver flashers like on your car. Get a heavy duty one. Should run you only a few bucks.

Comment

Steve how did this work out for you?

Comment

My 1980's Priority Light Experience

Where to start, these are great idea and I installed them on my GS1000 and they initially operated flawlessly. I have no comment about the functional symptom you are experiencing & I didn't replace any relays or anything else for that matter to make the Priority Lights operate as advertised.

I can definitively tell you though my GS1000 could not support the added electrical load required to operate the Priority SOS lights. The problem manifested itself in weak/dead batteries. The GS charging system is nominal at best and hanging additional electrical load is not a good combination considering the Priority converts the rear turn signals into running lights. This was my first electrical modifications and my GS charging system was new. I did not Troubleshoot with a DMM but I merely removed the Priority Lights and my symptoms went away. We all know the GS battery voltage @ idle is low but it would be interesting to measure the effect of the Priority SOS have on your GS's charging system.

I currently have Priority Lights installed on my ST1100 but the Honda charging system outout exceeds the GS era charging systems. Second, this information is based on the 1980's unit; SOS may have redesigned it but if it still measures 2" x 2" x .50" I think you are looking at long term problems

Have any of us used the SOS "Priority Plus" rear light system? It is really cool; makes the rear directionals running lights which flash when braking http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

Can anyone with experience with these lights tell me what might be wrong? Much appreciated!
                Steve Poole
                North Berwick, ME
                Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Tom,
                  Thanks for asking. I truly appreciate how incredibly courteous and helpful you guys have been. Truth be told, I have set the little unit aside for now. It may sound funny but I have spent so many long hours doing this rebuild, I just want to ride and not mess with it anymore for a while, know what I mean?

I did get a reply from the owner/designer of the SOS system with a suggested fix. For anyone interested, here is what he said:

• Find the right hot turn signal wire in the bike. CUT IT.
                  • Connect the blue wire to the piece of the right hot turn signal wire that comes from the front of the bike.
                  • Connect the brown wire to the piece of the hot right turn signal wire that goes to the rear of the bike.
                  • Do the same installation on the left side of the bike with the yellow and green wire.

I will check this out when I get back to messing with the lights again. Supertrap's comments about overall electrical load are valid, I know we do not have a lot of headroom here. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again, Tom. It is a great blessing to have sharp folks like you to turn to with my newbie questions!
                  Steve Poole
                  North Berwick, ME

Comment

Working...
                  X