Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox parts. What am I missing

1980 GS550E

Just got an Ebay purchased airbox in the mail. Matching it up with my existing parts I think that I have some issues.

For starters I assume the airbox is supposed to have some sort of lid? Maybe a little sheet metal work is in order.

Second the "ears" on the plastic unit connecting the box to the carbs are pretty chewed up. I'm guessing there is some sort of latchhing mechinisim missing?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Have a look:

Comment

Try this GMZZLR.

Comment

Thanks Don. I hadn't looked at Alpha's fiche yet. That drawing is much clearer. I am definately missing the cover and it doesn't look like that part is available seperately. I can't tell from the picture but is the back side of the cover open for air to enter the box.

Any idea how the bike would run with the top open or with a flat top frabricated? Or with the filter in place will the airflow to the carbs be ok?

Comment

The rear of the plastic air box that goes on the carbs has a large hole, probably 3 or 4 inches diameter with a rubber seal on it which butts up against the metal air box that holds the filter. I don't see why a metal top fabricated for the metal box would not work.

You will run into trouble though if you run it without a top on the air filter box. These bikes are very susceptible to air leaks and alterations to the passage of air on either side of the carbs. Try and keep them as stock as possible or you will need to rejet. Not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            The rear of the plastic air box that goes on the carbs has a large hole, probably 3 or 4 inches diameter with a rubber seal on it which butts up against the metal air box that holds the filter. I don't see why a metal top fabricated for the metal box would not work.

You will run into trouble though if you run it without a top on the air filter box. These bikes are very susceptible to air leaks and alterations to the passage of air on either side of the carbs. Try and keep them as stock as possible or you will need to rejet. Not a pleasant experience.
            Maybe a stupid question, but it sounds like the airbox is pretty much a closed system. Is there a specific opening to let air into the metal box or are there enough gaps built it to allow enough air in.

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to reconcile the incomplete pile of parts that came with the bike with the manuals.

Thanks again.

Greg

Comment

From the picture, it appears that the lid is the snorkel/air inlet. Blocking it off would not allow enough air in.

Comment

Greg. If you look at the lid (top) in Figure 14 there is an air scoop on the end furthest away from you as you look at the diagram. It draws air in through that scoop to supply the air box. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Greg. If you look at the lid (top) in Figure 14 there is an air scoop on the end furthest away from you as you look at the diagram. It draws air in through that scoop to supply the air box. Cheers
                  Gotcha. Looks like I need to break out the tin snips. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by GLMZZR View Post
                    Gotcha. Looks like I need to break out the tin snips. Thanks for all the help.
                    No Problem Greg. Glad to pay back for some of the help I have received from this site. They are a great bunch of blokes in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X