Another R/R - stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another R/R - stator question

I recently had connection problems with my r/r. In tracing the wiring diagram it seems 2 legs of the stator go directly to the r/r, but the third leg runs up to a connector under the gas tank and then a jumper wraps it back to several other points and then to the r/r. Does anyone know the reason for this. I have several concerns with that connector under the tank. It's not in good shape and the wires don't seem to match the wiring diagram exactly. So I don't really want to try to change it and possibly make things worse. I have so far replaced the r/r connector which got me up to 13 v. Prior I wasn't charging at all. I feel I should be a little higher and was wondering about wiring the 3rd leg directly to the r/r.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Eddie V

It used to go to a headlight on/off switch. You don't need it. Just use the stator wire from the stator. Cut it or unplug it from the needless loop and wire it directly to the R/R.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Make sure the reg has a ground direct to the battery. That may help raise the charging voltage

Comment

Squawk!

Hi Mr. eddiev,

Mr. chef1366 speaks wisely. I, too, had the useless loop of wire going up to a non-existent headlight switch. Just cut it back, tape it off, and wire all of the stator legs directly to the r/r inputs. And like Ms. SqDancerLynn1 says, run the ground wire from the r/r directly to the negative battery terminal.

I make a good parrot, don't I?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wanna cracker???
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Wanna cracker???
            Thanks, but I must get back on my low-carb diet. How about a shark steak?

BassCliff

Comment

Thresher shark steak picatta! MMMMMMMM
              Fish have feelings too ya know

Comment

Bah! Sharks have no feelings. All they do is swim, eat, and make baby sharks. What a life.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies and as usual all the great advice and help. I will wire it directly first chance I get.
                  Eddie V

Comment

Working...
                  X