Pilot screw rubber bung/plug thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot screw rubber bung/plug thing

Got a spare set of carbs, so today I decided to take the plunge and delve into the mystical land of the cv carb. (1983 ish 650 katana carbs)

Imagine my amazement at how much it all made sense (thanks to weeks of reading a printed off copy of the carb rebuild from the famous basscliff site , cheers again.

Anyway, there were only 2 surprises.
    One , there was grass inside the carb , a proper wee clump of grass and dirt(garden grass, not get you wasted grass)
    No big deal, but I wonder how it got there.

I digress....
    When I took the float bowl off, there was a black rubber plug in it, which is/was not in any photo I had seen. So I pulled it off (was stuck pretty solid)

Mystery solved when I figured out it was the rubber plug thing for the bit above, and had obviously come off some years before.

My question is, what does it do? Stop petrol going back up from the bowl?
    If I ever need this carb for real (cos it is my practice carb, hehee) , then I will replace it , and if I come across the problem on any other carb I will replace it, but I wondered , what difference would it make to the running of the bike?

Headphase it is not the pilot screw rubber bung as you stated in your heading, it is the pilot jet rubber plug. The explanation you require goes as follows: Petrol is fed to the pilot jet on the CV carbs via the main jet. If you look closely you can see the internal tube that directs fuel from the main to the pilot.

So this rubber plug is essential so the pilot jet does not draw fuel directly from the float bowl. If they are left out and it does draw fuel from the float bowl then it will draw way too much and upset carb setting and bike will not run properly. The rubber plugs are kept in place by a part on the float bowl that is there for that very reason.

Any more questions or if my explanation does not make sense, then post more questions.

Comment

thanks, thats what I thought it was, I just had the names wrong, there are far too many bits called needle and jet in a carburettor, each part should have a clear and distinct name, for dunces like me.

Appreciate the explanation as well.

Comment

No probs. Glad to help out. Cheers from Oz.

Comment

Hows the gardening going on.

Suzuki mad

Comment

i accidentyly spilt some petrol on the grass in my garden and it died
            no idea how you get yours to grow inside the carb
            GS850GT

Comment

it is a new extreme sport apparently.

Full throttle gardening.

I shoulda got a photograph, hehehe, it was just so amazing to find it in the middle of the carb.

Comment

nobody mentioned using weedkiller as a carb cleaner either.

Suzuki carb trowel, anyone know where I can get one?

Comment

Nevermind.

This thread is not about what I thought it was about.

Chris

Comment

Mikumi grass feeder sold at all good stockists.

They must have been sat around for a while. Hope you didn't pay too much for them. Whats the diaphrams and jets like?

Was the pilot jet plug still in situe or in the bottom of the bowl.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Everything was in place, and everything seems to be fine, other than that rubber plug stuck in the bottom of the bowl.

Diaphragms, slides etc. all seem good to me. Manky filthy, but from my initial clean up, not scratched or damaged. I am pretty sure I am the first person to have been in there

I'll try and take some photos of them tomorrow, outside, since the flash doesn't give good results up close.

Comment

Working...
                      X