Carbs leaking constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leaking constantly

Need some advice on repairing a fuel leak from two carbs. I have a 1981 GS650G which I bought new in 82 and have had ever since, so no mystery about the history. I also have a parts bike, same year and model. Carbs 2 and 3 decided that they would leak out the breather tubes at idle, obviously a problem with the float and fuel needle. The carbs are sitting on my workbench right now with the float bowls removed. I took out the fuel inlet needle valve and the needle valve seat assembly. The seat assemblies for the two carbs fell out, the O ring that is on the seat I assume is supposed to be a fairly tight fit. I compared these to my spare carbs from the wreck and yes, those were fairly tight. The seat assembly is real loose in the carb body, so I assume that this is my problem and a new set of O rings should solve the fuel leak???? While I have the bottom of the carbs off, is there anything else that I should check? Is there a way to check the floats? How about the needle valve? Do these ever wear? The valve looks fine, the springs on the needle are OK, the inside of the carb is clean as this bike has never sat idle since I've owned it, no gum here. Where can I get a set of O rings, would the dealer be my best bet or are there after market places anyone recommends, I'm in Canada, so anything up here would be a lot easier for me. Thanks.....

Check this guy out. I've bought and used them several times. Excellent value. He says they are for the 850, but I've used them on the 550, 650, and 850 GS bikes. Just overhauled the carbs on my keeper, it's a 650 also, used his O rings, excellent value.

Comment

Thanks for the connection to acquiring the O rings, will follow up on that, is there anything I should be aware of with the needle valves, would they be OK and how would I test the floats to make sure they're OK?

Comment

I just got a set of rings from Bob via eBay, should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll report back on how much they help.

Comment

I've bought them in the past, and I can't say enough good things about this guy. Was an excellent value, and had everything I needed. Even had a sheet included with tips about the cleanup.

Comment

I have a reply from Robert already, thanks for the recommendations. I assume replacing the O rings will solve my problem or should I be worried about the needle valve or floats themselves?

Comment

Part Number

I've also bought a set of rings from Robert and it is a great set.......I just rebuilt an extra set of carbs last week and only needed to change the valve seat O-rings.....I found an absolutely PERFECT fit at the auto parts store. They are made by "O-Tite" and the part number is 64010. They come 8 to a package and cost about $2.75. Most auto parts carry that brand so you should have no problem finding them.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

When you get the O rings, seperate the carbs and replace the O rings on the tubes also. Before installing them set them level and hook the gas up to them on prime before putting them on the bike. They should sit there for ever without seeping gas. If you have leaks find and correct them before installing them. It will save a lot of R+R time. with new O rings around the needle seats and floats adjusted properly there should be no leaks. Be sure to use vasoline on all new O rings to simplify installation.

Comment

Can't say enough about Robert Barr, I received a set of O rings from him today, took less than six days from the time I mailed my money. That's gotta be some kind of record for the US and Canadian post offices. I replaced all the O rings in all four carbs tonight and will be putting them back on the bike soon.

Comment

The carbs are back on the bike, I didn't check for fuel leaks before putting them back on, was too anxious to get it going. I primed the carbs, hit the starter button and the engine fired up right away. There were no leaks and what really made my day was that # 3 cylinder fired up right away, something it didn't do before. The engine runs a lot smoother now and a lot of the "burbling" is gone.
                    To all who replied, thanks very much. On to my next project...steering head bearings.

Comment

For others with smaller bikes Roberts o-rings did fit my 400EZ.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X