79 550L front end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 550L front end question

I've just completely rebuilt my front end (new steering head bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals, etc.) and put everything back together. I've assembled it according to what I remember during disassembly and according to the schematics but it still doesn't seem right. The front wheel seems offset to the right (looking from the front) a bit. The only thing I can think it would be is the spacer on the right fork that goes through the fork mount (number 8 here: http://ww.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/suzuki-motorcycle-gs550ln-1979-front-wheel/o/m6083sch273760 )
    It shows it with the shoulder on the inside of the fork, but it also fits with the shoulder on the outside.

Also, I'm not sure about the washer on the left side (number 10). Does it go between the speedo drive and the fork, or on the outside between the fork and the head of the axle? I currently have it on the outside of the fork which is how I remember it but I could be wrong.

Anybody have an L model that could take a look at theirs? I'll post some pictures later so you can see what I mean when I'm not at work and can upload them.

Thanks!

I've attached a pic now...

Kelly
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: added pics

Here's another pic.

Comment

And the other side...

Comment

I can't tell by pictures But it has to be something with the axel spacers

Comment

Well, that was annoying. It turns out the problem is not a problem after all. The fender was twisted creating a very convincing optical illusion. I took it off and noticed the wheel was somehow centered!

Hmm, maybe I should have taken some measurements *before* I took it all apart again...

Comment

Working...
          X