Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank

hey there! I was wondering what the tank interchange is for these gs bikes...
    I have a 1980 gsl. the book says it should have a 5.8 gal tank, the most I've been able to put in is 2.7 gal. book also refrences a "lx and lt" modles, how can I tell if my bike is 1 of these???

Thanks alot!
    -Nick

The L models have a chrome rear fender (not plastic), chrome front fender (not painted), a smaller, more teardrop shaped tank, a fork with the axle in front of the tubes, a stepped seat, and stock handlebars that reach back to the rider at what I find an uncomfortable angle.

You have the small tank, so you have an L. The tanks are not interchangeable with the larger types. There are not even very many exchanges between years of the same model.

The last letter in the model designation (GS850GLT) is the model year designation. This will be on the end of your VIN too, so check to see what is stamped there. Look here for more.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah, L tanks are tiny Mine is 3.4

Comment

holy crap! i want a 5.8 gallon tank even my g seems to hold only 4.5 or so.

Comment

That is the one thing that I want to change about my bike. I can only safely ride about 120 miles between fill-ups, which always takes about 2.6 gal. I don't feel comfortable taking it lower than that as there isn't much gas left over in the tank past that point.

Sure wish I could get a 4 gal. or larger tank on there What is so different about the larger tanks? If it is only the mounting locations, I can deal with that (I gots a welder )

Comment

I'm guessing it would also foul up your seat placement, if the tank was longer.

Comment

Working...
            X