Couple of quick questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of quick questions ...

All relative to my '82 GS850GL restore project.

When you remove & replace a wheel (to change tires), is it necessary to grease up the axle? I've cleaned & lubed the rear spline gears with the Honda moly paste, then cleaned all the associated spacers & such. I didn't see a need to grease up the axle (it doesn't move in operation).

Presently doing the same for the front axle (minus the spline gear lube).

Is this correct, or shoud I just apply a light coating of anti-seize??

The other qusetion is thus - I've cleaned the carbs correctly, changed all the o-rings & such, and the bike will idle all day long at 1K, quite smoothly & I haven't yet done a carb sync. However, I have the mixture screws out about 4-4.5 turns each & the #1,2, & 4 plugs are still lean with #3 rich. Everything is stock except for a drop-in K&N cartridge filter & I raised the jet needles essentially one notch. I sealed the airbox well. Like I said, the idle is great - doesn't hang or drift.

Is this normal?

Anyway, just wondering if I'm in the margins here - the bike so far runs quite well - carb sync this weekend.

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

A light coating of grease or oil on the axle will help it slide into place smoothly but I don’t know that it’s necessary per say.

The pilot screws won’t have a whole lot of effect on the plug color since this circuit is for idle and slightly above; I wouldn’t mess with the pilots thinking this is the way to adjust plug color. I suggest you set the pilot screws to 2.5 turns and then vacuum sync the carbs. After you get the sync close tweak the pilots to achieve the highest idle speed and verify the sync is holding. Don’t play with the pilots after this and see what happens with the plugs.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      A light coating of grease or oil on the axle will help it slide into place smoothly but I don’t know that it’s necessary per say.

The pilot screws won’t have a whole lot of effect on the plug color since this circuit is for idle and slightly above; I wouldn’t mess with the pilots thinking this is the way to adjust plug color. I suggest you set the pilot screws to 2.5 turns and then vacuum sync the carbs. After you get the sync close tweak the pilots to achieve the highest idle speed and verify the sync is holding. Don’t play with the pilots after this and see what happens with the plugs.
      Will do - back to 2.5 turns (where I started).

Thanks
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

A stuck axle is a bane upon mankind.

Just add a light coating of plain old brown grease to keep it from corroding in place. Future generations will thank you.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Just add a light coating of plain old brown grease to keep it from corroding in place. Future generations will thank you.
          Agreed......Just a couple of weeks ago I had to drive an axle out of my 1100E with a brass rod because someone did not do this....not fun.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Well then, we won't leave them any social security money, but at least they'll have unstuck axles!!
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              Well then, we won't leave them any social security money, but at least they'll have unstuck axles!!
              wait, do we get to choose?

Comment

Working...
              X