Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

its backfiring what the hay!!??!!??!!?(hey EARL!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its backfiring what the hay!!??!!??!!?(hey EARL!)

Finally I have combustion!!! problem is its backfiring through the carbs!!!!!
    It only happens when I am at W.O. choke..!!! Any Ideas I have 6 days before the big ride I can almost taste it! help! Thanks yall

Re: OK im getting close!!!!

Full choke may be flooding it. My 750 takes about 1/3 choke when cold and my 1150 takes about 1/8th.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
    Finally I have combustion!!! problem is its backfiring through the carbs!!!!!
    It only happens when I am at W.O. choke..!!! Any I deaas I have 6 days before the big ride Ican almost taste it help! Thanks yall
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

just who I was hopings to respond, MR experience!!! 8) that will cause the backfire, what is the best way to start a bike thats been down about 6mos?? I am hoping I can get it tonight it would be a great weight lifted off my shoulders!

Comment

ok no choke at all and its still backfiring.. worst yet I cant for the life of me find my manual!!!!!anyone out there have and insight?>? thanks

Comment

Are the backfires occuring at idle and/or with a little throttle? In that case try turning the air screws to richen it up a bit. Any comments on this from the experts???

Comment

Which bike is it? Does it have an electronic ignition that is adjustable.
            Does it at least have timing marks so you can clip a timing light on it to check timing. Will it run long enough that you can use a timing light?

Earl

ok no choke at all and its still backfiring.. worst yet I cant for the life of me find my manual!!!!!anyone out there have and insight?>? thanks

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

ok figured thisa one out.. used the 1,4 2,3 firing order I saw elsewaqre in a topice.. well that was causing the backfire.... so I swapped it to 1.3 2.4 which is what I thought it was to begin with...........now she hummmmmmmmmmsss well sort of (see other post OH NO GOT A GUSHER!!!) thanks for all your help!

Comment

btw it is an 82 1100gl

Comment

1 & 4 and 2 & 3 are where the plug wires go for the left and right coils. The
                  left coil spark plug leads connect to cylinders 1 and 4. The right coil spark plug leads connect to cylinders 2 and 3. That is not the same thing as firing order. :-) :-) The firing order is 1, 2, 4, 3.

Earl

ok figured thisa one out.. used the 1,4 2,3 firing order I saw elsewaqre in a topice.. well that was causing the backfire.... so I swapped it to 1.3 2.4 which is what I thought it was to begin with...........now she hummmmmmmmmmsss well sort of (see other post OH NO GOT A GUSHER!!!) thanks for all your h
                  elp!

Comment

thats what I meant.. I put coils 1 on 1,3 and coil 2 on 2,4 and its running fairly smooth w/exception of the gusher!

Comment

Well, regardless of how it appears to run, I can say absolutely, that is incorrect.
                      Earl

thats what I meant.. I put coils 1 on 1,3 and coil 2 on 2,4 and its running fairly smooth w/e
                      xception of the gusher!

Comment

where do I go now?

Comment

Put it back the way it is supposed to be. There is a problem that has to be found. The correct way is left coil spark plugs wires go to cylinders 1 and 4.
                          Right coil spark plug wires go to cylinders 2 and 3.

Do a check for me on this:

The negative terminal on your left coil should be a white wire. Look at your left pointset and see if it also has a white wire connected to it.

The negative terminal on your right coils should be a black wire. Look at you right pointset and see if it has a black wire connected to it.

These two wires (black and white) will be plugged into a connector under the left side cover and should be plugged black to black and white to white. Verify that they are.

Tell me what you find.

Earl
                          where do I go now?

Comment

only one problem.... I have just installed ACCEL coils.. they are (according to the manual) no polarity sensitive...so now what. Im with ya earl I wan to get this thing buzzing and I know you know how.. thanks keith

Comment

OK I made an error... Took another look at it and the coils are reversed
                              so now it s 1=2,3 ;2=1,4. So now thats good... it does however seem to run a bit rich, left bank of exhaust is quite a bit hotter than the right. Also when not runnig an airfilter(iwas just trying to get it running didnt think it would ) the left 2 carbs(1,2) pop a bit and the right 2 run smotth, I cant really rev it too much.. But if I add the filter it revs like a banshee...I am however not to sure on the temperature .. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X