Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

its backfiring what the hay!!??!!??!!?(hey EARL!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible I need to sync???

Comment

You now have your coils in reversed position, but coil position does not matter. The important thing is that the correct pairs of cylinders are running from the same coil. The pickups on the end of your crankshaft determine which cylinder will fire when. In my earlier post, I was trying to determine if you may have had an ignition wire plugged into the wrong connectors in the harness.

(cylinders 1 and 2 run hotter than 3 and 4)..............
      Put the airfilter element back into the airbox. Popping is an indication of a lean condition and greater heat is also an indication of a leaner condition.
      Running rich is not harmful, running overly lean is a NO NO.

You would have CV carbs, so I believe you will only have one screw to adjust for synchronizing the carbs. That would be the throttle valve adjustment screw, Carb #3 should be the control carb and not have an adjustment screw. Carbs 1,2 and 4 should be matched to #3. The throttle valve adjustment screw between carbs 1 and 2 adjusts carb 1.
      The screw between carb 2 and 3 adjusts carb 2. The screw between carbs 3 and 4 adjusts 4.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
      OK I made an error... Took another look at it and the coils are reversed
      so now it s 1=2,3 ;2=1,4. So now thats good... it does however seem to run a bit rich, left bank of exhaust is quite a bit hotter than the right. Also when not runnig an airfilter(iwas just trying to get it running didnt think it would ) the left 2 carbs(1,2) pop a bit and the right 2 run smotth, I cant really rev it too much.. But if I add the filter it revs like a banshee...I am however not to sure on the temperature .. thanks
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

so you think a sync will do it? one more thing It has to be running to sync
        right. And by running I mean be at a certain RPM.... My tach isnt functioning as of yet(need to get a new gear) So how do I go about it? Is there anything else to look for? Is a sync gonna fatten them up?Thanks again Keith

Comment

I like to synch my carbs at a particular rpm, but it isnt written in stone. :-)

Yes the bike has to be running. Turn the idle knob enough that the engine is at a smooth idle. That will probably be an rpm between 1000 and about 1400. Synch the carbs at whatever speed the engine idles well.
          Synching the carbs has to help. You said #3 was rich and #3 is the control carb, so you will not be able to change its mixture and will be setting the rest to match it. So, my inclination is that synching will richen up #1 and #2.
          #4 will probably remain close to the same. (just my guess though) :-)

Earl

so you think a sync will do it? one more thing It has to be running to sync
          right. And by running I mean be at a certain RPM.... My tach isnt functioning as of yet(need to get a new gear) So how do I go about it? Is there anything else to look for? Is a sync gonna fatten them up?Thanks again Keith

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

sounds about right. 1 is leanest 2 lil less 3 almost right 4 is cold...... Ill give it a try andlet you know.. gotta find a sync tool first

Comment

Hmmmm, #4 is cold?......not good. Sounds like your fuel pilot is clogged. #4 should be close to the same temp as #3. There is no point in trying to synch anything until all 4 pipes will warm up at idle speed.

Earl

sounds about right. 1 is leanest 2 lil less 3 almost right 4 is cold...... Ill give it a try andlet you know.. gotta find a sync tool first

Comment

w/ arbox on #4 warms.. not as much as others(close to 3) but it warms..
                I just got finished wrestling that beast in there, I thought the carbs were bad!!!!! I appreciate your straight to the point answers earl.. Just wish you were closer ... Id get ya a case or two to come on by!!!!

Comment

heh heh, beer mmmmmmm. :-) If 4 is now warming ok with the airbox and filter installed, I think youre ready to synch the things. It should make a world of difference. I suspect your carbs are WAAY out. :-)

Earl

w/ arbox on #4 warms.. not as much as others(close to 3) but it warms..
                  I just got finished wrestling that beast in there, I thought the carbs were bad!!!!! I appreciate your straight to the point answers earl.. Just wish you were closer ... Id get ya a case or two to come on by!!!!

Comment

ok where do I get a decent deal on a sync tool? jc whitney wants almost 50$$$$? I hope this is it I have a lot of small stuff left and 3 days to finish!!!thanks

Comment

I just checked J C Whitney at
                      Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

They show $39.99 for the synch tool.

Earl

ok where do I get a decent deal on a sync tool? jc whitney wants almost 50$$$$? I hope this is it I have a lot of small stuff left and 3 days to finish!!!thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X