is the large plastic piece inside the carb safe for carb dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the large plastic piece inside the carb safe for carb dip

There is a large plastic piece that the CV rides on, is that carb dip safe?

1994 GS500E

Thanks

Originally posted by sladerunner View Post
    There is a large plastic piece that the CV rides on, is that carb dip safe?

1994 GS500E

Thanks
    Nothin' plastic or rubber or vinyl or anything not metal is safe in the carb dip...

Metal only my friend....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks,

any idea on how to get this plastic piece out...it looks like it's pressed in, but don't know how to pry it out.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sladerunner View Post
        Thanks,

any idea on how to get this plastic piece out...it looks like it's pressed in, but don't know how to pry it out.

thanks
        Sorry, I don't know a thing about those newfangled carbs from the '90s
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Try hot water and liquid dishwasher soap instead of carb dip. It's heavy with lye so will clean just about anything and won't damage plastic or rubber.

Comment

Try these folks...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69 View Post
              Try hot water and liquid dishwasher soap instead of carb dip. It's heavy with lye so will clean just about anything and won't damage plastic or rubber.
              Powedered dishwasher detergent is often chemically similar to "oxyclean", and is a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate. Neither is "lye". I use it all the time to clean my brewing equipment and toilets. Seems OK for my aluminum brewing pot, but I'm not paying attention to tiny passages.

Keep any acid or base away from aluminum!
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Hi Mr. sladerunner,

Check out this carb cleaning guide at gixxer.com, see if it helps.

There's a PDF version on my website if you'd like to download it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  Powedered dishwasher detergent is often chemically similar to "oxyclean", and is a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate. Neither is "lye". I use it all the time to clean my brewing equipment and toilets. Seems OK for my aluminum brewing pot, but I'm not paying attention to tiny passages.

You're incorrect. Dishwasher detergent has a high level of lye because of it's effectiveness in cleaning grease. Lye is caustic, which is why it isn't included in modern hand soaps. 'Oxyclean', et al, contains hydrogen peroxide which forms the foam that is marketed on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Try these folks...
                    http://gstwin.com/
                    Thanks! I did and they had a great piece on getting those plastic sliders out making a make shift puller. I got them out and soaked carb and all pieces in hot water and soap for the better part of the day.

Got all back to gether and sadly, same thing, my bike will only idle..as soon as you give it any gas, it dies!

HELP!!!

I Don't know what else to try now.

I guess tomorrow I'll go buy some real carb dip and try that...but I have a feeling I'll be just wasting $25

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post

Themess, you are right. I was wrong. I'm an ass.

'Oxy' cleaners don't contain peroxide. Dishwasher soaps don't contain lye any longer either but do use alkalis to break down grease.

Comment

Working...
                      X