Pin holes at seams of my tank......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin holes at seams of my tank......

I get home from doing some prep work on a house that I have to paint look at my beautiful gx and see something dripping from the tank. I take the tank off and look closer.

Only to find that I have more than one leak.

Whats the best way to fix this. I was supposed to go on a 400 mile trip next weekend.

I was thinking solider but would I use an Iron or a torch? I don't want to blow anything up.

mebby jbweld? the 24 hour stuff, not the 4 hour stuff.

Comment

you got problems

The only real solution is to have the tank repaired professionally, but cutting out and welding in new steel. The whole seam area will be so thin that any attempt to repair the pinholes will probably just create more holes. Might be easier just to find and fit a better tank.

Comment

new tank. i think. i wonder, though, how big are those holes? por-15? or maybe the other one i see recommended, caswell platings, maybe? maybe with a little jb weld backup on the outside? i mean, if you GOTTA ride, and cant wait for a new tank. i dunno. maybe the jb as a temp fix, then a new tank when you get back?
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Have someone fix it. Brazing the holes would be the way to do it. If you are going to try to fix it. DON"T go near it with a torch without washing it out with soap & water, even then fill it with water Up to the point where the repair is OR If you have a Heavy duty soldering iron 100w min NOT some pencil iron solder it. with radiator solder and do the por 15 coating

Comment

Infomercial

Hi Mr. tommyboxes,

Why are those holes so uniform? If they are part of the manufacturing process, I've never noticed.

To fix them temporarily, I heard that Mighty Putty will do the trick.

Actually, any epoxy putty resistant to gas will do, temporarily. Good luck with your repair.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. tommyboxes,

Why are those holes so uniform? If they are part of the manufacturing process, I've never noticed.
              BassCliff
              I actually scraped along the seem to see if any more surfaces then in the soft spots I awled them out with a phillips bit.

Now I tried to use the torch to solder them with no avail. I did get a pretty cool "woosh" as the vapors burned out of the tank. And now I am able to place the flaming torch inside the filler nozzle. If I had a welder I would try to mend the holes on my own but as of right now I have to wait untill monday so no riding for me.

Ever notice that problems usually come up on the weekend when you can not do anything about it and you were planning on riding.

Comment

Back on the road

I ended up using JB Waterweld. I guess its just like Mitty Putty. I am sure that this will be a temp fix and will be having it welded this winter. On a side note not going on my trip this weekend after all. Found a 78 gs1000 for a $100 on Cracklist. Gonna try and get into the Grand Caravan and bring it home. Since it is close to the wedding I HAVE to attend.

Comment

My tank (assumed original) has had leaks repaired at the seam on the right front corner. There's a little solder around that area, but where it was actually leaking I can't tell. The PO said that when it's cold out it weeps from that area, I assume because the metal contracts at the seam.

I opted to find a replacement, which I have been told by several salvage yards is difficult with this particular tank. One said he gets a lot of calls for it.

If you repair your tank I would consider getting one of the lining kits that seals the inside, I think one is called "kreme-it" or something like that. At any rate what you have now will only get worse, and I'm in agreement, that area of the tank is likely to be pretty weak or getting there.

It does seem like something happens when you have something planned or want to go somewhere.

BTW, I see there must be a Volkswagen parked behind your bike to the right, from the design of the wheel I would guess it might be a Passat?

good luck!
                  steve a
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

What I have seen used a lot lately

There is an epoxy product that I just used on my Indian tanks and I was very pleased with it. It is from Caswell Plating. Very easy to use and it was recommended to me by several people before I tried it.

Here's a link: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Here is a link to some pictures posted on another board:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/18800...ut+a+month+ago....

Comment

Originally posted by glenlloyd View Post
                      BTW, I see there must be a Volkswagen parked behind your bike to the right, from the design of the wheel I would guess it might be a Passat?

steve a
                      I am a VW guy too. That is my 98 1.8t Passat
                      Is VW in your blood as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X