basic spark plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic spark plug question

Ok, this might be really basic but anyway here goes.
    What is the difference between resistor and non-resistor type plugs?

My '84 GS450LE calls for NGK B8ES (x2 of course)
    My dealer gave me the R type and said they'd work fine.

In the meantime I wanted to change the plug wires and caps - just because they're really old. (I found after that the wires are permanently attached to the coils) So I just repaced the caps. The caps I bought have 5k ohms marked on them, the oem caps have no such marking. I can't find any note of this type of stuff in my clymer manual.

Now I know what you're thinking, if its working it should be fine, however, I've noticed since I took it out of storage that No.1 cylinder doesn't fire well when cold - but if I loosen the cap up off of the plug as bit it works like it should?!?

What *have* I done?

any help would be great.

PS: what would be an apropriate replacement coil - one with replaceable wires? again the manual doesn't quote resistances like so many of the online dealers do for their coils.

thanks for listening to my rambling.....Sam

Since you have new caps, chuck the "R"'s for the regular B8ES plugs. you dont need 2 resistors inline with the spark. If you want a replacement coil, accel should have a replacement for you. :twisted:

Comment

If I can correctly recall the explanation for Resistor plugs, and resistor plug wiresfrom many years back, they were intended to be used in cars, mainly, to reduce electrical interference with radios.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thanks for the help!

Sam

Comment

Working...
        X