Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milled head...anything special I need to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
    Piston to valve clearance changes when you move the cam timing. With the Wisecos, you should have plenty if clearance. Minimums would be .040" intake, and .065" exhaust if you have good aftermarket valve springs. If not, make the exhaust .085 minimum.

Jay
    thanks, Jay! I think I'll get some plastigage and check everything out.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Get some APE HD valve springs!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

it's just me but i would go with hd valve springs from who ever you get your cams from. I am sure APE has great springs they just don't have lots of gs1000 stuff.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

new heavy duty springs are already in there.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

gday mate, there is only 15,000th of an inch taken of the head, it won't even be noticable on the cam tensioner, but have the cylinders been machined also, if they have, then the piston is going to rise higher in the bore, and so if you get the cams degreed wrong, they may, touch the top of the piston, regards

Comment

This has me a bit concerned now because my replacement head had to be milled and did they say the took of .04mm or .4 mm.... hmmmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                This has me a bit concerned now because my replacement head had to be milled and did they say the took of .04mm or .4 mm.... hmmmmmmm.
                How bad was it? I think that .04mm would be a sight "dusting" of the surface. .4mm would be quite high but may be needed if things were warped. Hard to say...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  How bad was it? I think that .04mm would be a sight "dusting" of the surface. .4mm would be quite high but may be needed if things were warped. Hard to say...
                  It was warped, so gonna guess it was .04. I'm bookmarking this thread to come back before mounting. I got it milled, I've cleaned it up, totally disassembled (except valve guides), got in new HD srpings, a gasket kit with new oil seals included on the way. Still need to order new valve seats (mine were heavily grooved on the bottom). I have a lead on a good price to mill me some SS valves out of blanks from Rapid Ray, so we're getting close.

Comment

Working...
                  X