Portable gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable gas tank

For those of us on a budget, is there a cheap and easy way to get fuel to the bike while syncing the carbs?

Hi Mr. Harry Porosky,

You can make your own with an upside down plastic bottle (bottom cut out), a piece of fuel line, and a fitting. You'll have to visit your local hardware store to sort out the fitting, but it shouldn't be very difficult. Fix up a bent wire clothes hanger to hang it from the handlebars. Since it is gravity fed, make sure the temporary tank is higher than the carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Buy several feet of fuel line .. replace your normal one with the long one .. carefully sit your tank on a solid surface and sync away.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
        Buy several feet of fuel line .. replace your normal one with the long one .. carefully sit your tank on a solid surface and sync away.
        Yes! Using this method, don't forget to put your petcock on "Prime" (PRI).

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Yes! Using this method, don't forget to put your petcock on "Prime" (PRI).

BassCliff
          ....and plug your vacuum line to the petcock.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I use the tank off a TORO lawnmower. I hang it from the handle bars and have an inline valve in the line.

Stiksave

Comment

Click on link below to see some pics of my set up.

Worked really well for me.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                Yup...got an old piece of funiture in the garage works great!

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I use a small plastic tank from an auto parts store originally intended as a universal replacement for a broken antifreeze overflow tank. It has fittings in a couple of different locations -- you just clip the end off the one you want and attach a 5/16" hose.

You'll also need a straight through barbed fitting so you can attach it to the fuel line.

I spent a few minutes with some coat hanger wire and pliers to make a nifty hanger to attach it to the left handlebar.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Washing up liquid bottle plugged directly into the fuel line & hung from the shed roof

Comment

I use an empty oil or gear oil bottle with the nipple off the gear oil bottle to plug the fuel line on. a standard oil bottle has the same thread as a gear oil bottle. I usually cut the bottom off and invert that way I can pour into it if it gets low during testing. if you don't cut the bottom off make sure to at least punch a hole in it so it will vent.

Comment

A setup I have for my test stand. I guess it only really works if you take the engine out of the frame. Could easily wheel the empty stand beside the bike and just hang it there on the hook. The tank is a Motion Pro from Z1. Wasn't a whole lot of money, and came with a petcock and about 3 feet of line. Pretty slick.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                          A setup I have for my test stand. I guess it only really works if you take the engine out of the frame. Could easily wheel the empty stand beside the bike and just hang it there on the hook. The tank is a Motion Pro from Z1. Wasn't a whole lot of money, and came with a petcock and about 3 feet of line. Pretty slick.

Damn rudy, with that stand, thats a pretty sweet little rig you got going there. Id love to have something like that in my shop!

Comment

I also use the old 2 liter soda bottle w/hose clamp and coat hanger. Use a Briggs & Stratton fuel valve. Hang from the shed rafter and it's good to go.
                            Don't know how long it will last but it's cheap to replace.

Comment

I made one ealily for about $4...used a metal one gallon paint can from Lowe's drilled a hole in the side at the bottom and soldered in a brass barbed fitting. Hangs from the handle bars nicely with the handle and holds plenty of fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X