STATOR & Charging Questions? 1982 GS1100 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STATOR & Charging Questions? 1982 GS1100 G

Here we go again. I tested my stator voltage, at around 5000 RPM it reads 70volts on all outputs. My requlator has no voltage, easy right? Well I have to make sure my stator is ok? I did the resistance test on the stator itself, First between all outputs, measure around 1ohm. Next I went to the ground from each output, 1 ohm reading. Things don't sound to good. Now My BIG question, HOW can I read 70volts across each wire Yet be shorted to ground?
    I also believe the regulator is bad, Question: Could the stator short to ground cause my problem with my regulator?
    MORE TEST REQUIRED?

Now who in the Eastern USA rebuilds Stators?
    Thanks

Interesting question.

You may simply have a problem with the meter. Check it against a full short situation (both leads in contact). I suspect you will find it is showing 1 ohm.

If not......speak to Hap Call, he of the endless thong, and infinite knowledge on things electrical.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did check the resistance in meter leads and it was .3 ohms. Even tried my fluke DVM it read the same. I will be pulling this whole thing apart this weekend. Then I will check out the physical condition of the stator.

Comment

I called a place in NH and they were very helpful. I told them that i measured correct output voltage at 5000rpm, but my ohm readings measure 1 ohm from output to ground. They said I needed a new stator. It will be coming in tomorrow. It even has a 6mo. warranty, and the price was the best I could find with shipping. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
        X