Which head gasket to use...the continuing controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which head gasket to use...the continuing controversy

I did a bit of searching and there seems to be alot of opinions on which head gasket to use. Most of the aftermarket gaskets have the big copper rings for the 4 oil ports going up to the head, and have a small rubberized steel washer that you are supposed to put with the copper ring. Is this supposed to be an upgrade to the old style gasket? Unless you get the rubberized washer on there just right, they don't seem to fit real good. I fear that they might shift while installing. I also have a gasket that does not have the copper rings on it. It is much more "squishy" than the other. So I'm debating on which one would be better to use.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Good question. I've read threads on this subject before and both types of gasket seem to work fine. The factory Suzuki gaskets seem to go sans o-ring these days so that seems to indictate that o-rings are not critical. Quality of the gasket itself is probably more important than anything else.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I only use Cometic head gaskets.
      Glad to see your getting the Beast going!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I only use Cometic head gaskets.
        Glad to see your getting the Beast going!
        What do they look like? Do they have the copper ring, or are they plain?
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Is one of those head gaskets the one from your 1085 Wiseco piston kit?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Is one of those head gaskets the one from your 1085 Wiseco piston kit?
            Yes, the silver (plain) one came with all the stuff I bought
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Wiseco uses Cometic gaskets. Use that one in my opinion.
              I wouldn't know about the oil ports. My 1100 doesn't have o-rings or copper........
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

my vesrah had those oring inserts... yea, they want to move
                GS850GT

Comment

And then there is this one supposed to be the same as the latest OEM.
                  MLS gasket with no seals around the outer studs and overlapping the camchain o-ring position. The camchain opening is much smaller as those above.
                  This an Athena MLS (Multi Layer Steel) with 3 layers and outer 2 covered with Viton rubber
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2008, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I had a head gasket leak once because of those rubber gaskets. When I took the head off, the rubber gasket was all buggered up and leaking everywhere. I say f*%# em.

Comment

I have my doubts about Cometic -- the gasket they sent me for my 850 was a wavy POS I had to customize with a Dremel so it would fit.

Tired and in a hurry, I made it work and installed it anyway... There are no corner o-rings, nor do I think there are any on the OEM gasket. I did add a very thin layer of Hylomar at the corners just in case it might help.

No leaks or problems so far. Once I cleaned up Cometic's shoddy manufacturing a bit, the gasket seemed to flatten out and work well, and the materials seemed high-quality.

But as far as gaskets, it's Suzuki OEM for me from here on out.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Have used several of the Cometics included in Wiseco kits...never had any leaks or failures.
                        But, every one that I've taken apart after a year or so, the head and cylinder surfaces have small patches of very slight etching/pitting.
                        Was told it's because of a reaction between the aluminum and graphite in the gasket coating. Don't know that for a fact.
                        I've wondered if maybe it was created by condensation from the heat/cooldown cycles which cause some corrosion.
                        Sounds worse than it really is though, pits were MAYBE a few thousandths deep. Never caused any sealing issues.

Have never used the copper and rubber ring type gaskets. But I can see where there could be problems if the rubber swells and/or splits around the oil drainbacks.
                        Wouldn't be my 1st choice.

Mike
                        Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1197 View Post
                          Have used several of the Cometics included in Wiseco kits...never had any leaks or failures.
                          But, every one that I've taken apart after a year or so, the head and cylinder surfaces have small patches of very slight etching/pitting.
                          Was told it's because of a reaction between the aluminum and graphite in the gasket coating. Don't know that for a fact.
                          I've wondered if maybe it was created by condensation from the heat/cooldown cycles which cause some corrosion.
                          Sounds worse than it really is though, pits were MAYBE a few thousandths deep. Never caused any sealing issues.

I've found the same pitting from the head gasket on every GS engine I've ever disassembled.

I guess as long as you get the sealing rings around the pistons, the cam chain tunnel, and the four oil passages at the corners clean and level, the rest doesn't matter much.

That's why I went ahead and installed my wavy Cometic -- as long as the corners, tunnel, and pistons were OK, I figured it would be OK. About 1,000 miles so far, and it's fine.

There are some definite advantages to air cooling... No water passages to fart around with.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            I have my doubts about Cometic -- the gasket they sent me for my 850 was a wavy POS I had to customize with a Dremel .....

bwringer,
                            Could you explain what is a "wavy POS" please? I need to make sure that I do not get any of those from now on!
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2008, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                              bwringer,
                              Could you explain what is a "wavy POS" please? I need to make sure that I do not get any of those from now on!
                              Thanks
                              Andre I don't know what wavy is, BUT I think POS is PIECE OF S**T.

Excuse my French.

Just my guess.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X