Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting GS1100L carbs

Hey guys,
    I just removed the stock airbox from my GS1100L and installed the pod style air filters. With the stock airbox gone, the carbs hang from the motor like a spring board. I have had issues on other motorcycles with the carbs bouncing freely. Does anyone have a suggestion for mounting the carbs to prevent them from bouncing? Does someone sell a bracket?

Thanks!
    Doug
    Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2008, 11:30 PM.

Shaft drive?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have listed more information. The bike is a 1980 GS1100L, Chain drive, stock motor, and stock frame. Pretty much everything on the bike is stock except the vance and hines 4 into 1 exhaust and the newly added air filter pods.

Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

I think you will have to make your own bracket from the upper carb rail to where the airbox attaches to the frame.

Don't know anybody who makes one.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Good thing to worry about: the pressure will strain and eventually seperate the front boots. I just use a coat hanger wire around the back of the carbs up to the frame.

Comment

I have the same bike. Get new intake pipes and run it. The new ones will be stiffer and hold the carbs better.
            What jetting did you use?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies,

Chef1366, I started with the jetting setup that Dyna suggested in the instructions: DJ138 mains and the 3rd notch on the needle. I figure I will start there and begin the process of finding the magic combination. I haven't started looking around on here yet for this configuration and the best jetting set up. It looks like you have the pods in your picture. Any suggestions?
              thanks,
              Doug
              Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Chef's is different now because he rebored his cylinders.

This is what I have, with your exact setup (Bill correct me if I'm wrong here):

170 Pilot Air Jets
                47.5 Pilot Jet
                132 Mains
                Needle clip @ second from bottom.

Comment

With the V&H pipe I'd raise the needle one more notch (lower the clip on the needle one notch)
                  The 138 is good. I would go up to 47.5 on the pilot jet. The idle mixture screws will have to come out around three turns.
                  I would also bump up the pilot air jet to 165. I did 170 and it was too lean. Popped like crazy. This will smooth out the idle.

Comment

165?!? I think I may need to beat you with a rack of carbs Bill.

And I'm running 138s?

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                      Chef's is different now because he rebored his cylinders.

This is what I have, with your exact setup (Bill correct me if I'm wrong here):

170 Pilot Air Jets
                      47.5 Pilot Jet
                      132 Mains
                      Needle clip @ second from bottom.
                      I thought I put in the 138s

Comment

I don't remember, I just went back and read through your old emails of what you did originally.

You definitely have me running 170s pilots though

Comment

Delete all those old emails. You kill me!
                          Guinea pig!

Comment

Cool, that will save me a bunch of trial and error. Thanks!

Where can I buy 170 pilot air jets and 47.5 pilot jets? My little dyno jet kit didn't come with those. I think I remember reading somewhere on here about where to get them individually a while back, but I can't remember.

Comment

Call around locally for the pilot jets. If you can't find any try Denniskirk.com.
                              Pilot air jets are a little tricky. I used motorcyclecarbs.com once but thought it was a ripoff. So I tried https://www.justatv.com/pages/dirt_c...arter_jets.htm

$5 a jet and fast shipping. You have to send the Paypal payment to an Email.
                              #B42/55 Part number CW004-659 (for the 165)

Comment

Working...
                              X