Float height & needle valve question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float height & needle valve question

I'm beginning to think my ~3k RPM bogging issues (rich - black plugs) are due to my float height. I did some adjustments to the floats tonight and there was some improvement but I'm not there yet.

I'm wondering if my needle valves are contributing to the issue - specifically in the measuring of the float height.

If I have the carbs rightside up, the needle portion of the valve is significantly longer than if they are upside down. I've seen it suggested that you measure when the carbs are slightly tilted so that there is minimal pressure on the needle valve. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be play in the needle valve or if mine or worn out? I probably have a good 2-4mm in float height variation depending on how the needle valves sit. When I have the carbs sitting upside down, there is definitely a difference in the tension between all four needle valves while the floats sit on them.

Also...if necessary, where can I order new needle valves?

Thanks in advance - this forum is fantastic!

You definitely want to do your measuring when the needles first touch the seats.
    If your spring-loaded tips are collapsing, it makes it much more difficult.
    Click here to get a 6-pack of needles from Z1 for under $20.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The floats should rest on the needles without colapsing the spring, if they are take them out & clean them, the internal springs maybe gummed up
      Replacing them is a good idea too.

Comment

I didn't see them at Z1 when I looked before, thanks for the link.

I did dip them when I cleaned the carbs but I think they may be DOA.

Comment

There is most definitely a difference in the spring tension between OEM needles and after market needles. The OEM spring tension seems to be stronger because the resting float doesn't seem to affect the spring position, whereas, on the after market needles, it does change the position. Good? Bad? I don't know but I only use OEM needle valves; it's just too bad they're so expensive. (and that you can't buy just the needles anymore like you could a few years ago).
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X