Stalls, wont start, battery dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalls, wont start, battery dies

I have a 1981 gs550t in great condition with 31,000 miles. I had the carbs rebuilt about 6 months ago after the floats stucks and dumped my gas tank contents on the ground thru the air box.

The problem i have been having is that when i start the bike it runs great but, if i accidently stall it it will not re-start and if i crank it for 10 seconds the battery goes immediately dead. This has happen several times however, yesterday it did the stall/wont start and then i jump started it as i always do, when i took the jumper cables off the bike the engine quit in 3 seconds. I re-jump started it and it idled and rev'd fine but when i removed the jumper cables it again quit. I realized my headlamp was on so i shut it off and started the bike but, with the headlamp off it idled fine off the cables. If i turn on the headlamp it stalled. This did not happen again after i recharged the battery. Headlamp on and idles fine. I find i must recharge the battery about every 2 weeks to keep it up. I only drive 2 mile to work.

mystery

Garry

Check the fluid level in your battery cells.

Chances are one or more is nearly dry.

How to fix:

Remove the battery from the bike.

Refill all cells with water, preferably distilled water, then put the charger on and leave it overnight.

While waiting for battery to charge fully, clean up your contacts to/from the battery.

Next morning...

Reinstall battery....done!

While you are on the subject, it would be a good idea to check your charging system.

Go to the In the Garage section on this Forum, find The Stator Papers.
    Print them, then get a decent multimeter and take both to the bike.
    Follow the instructions in order...there are no shortcuts.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Stalls, wont start, battery dies

Its no mystery at all. :-) If you only ride the bike 2 miles to work each day, that is not enough time to put any charge into the battery. The amount of electricity you are using up in starting the bike is greater than your charging output for a 2 mile ride. The amount of electrical energy consumed by turning over the starter for 10 seconds would probably take about 30 minutes of riding at highway speeds to replenish.

Earl

Originally posted by gs2003
      I have a 1981 gs550t in great condition with 31,000 miles. I had the carbs rebuilt about 6 months ago after the floats stucks and dumped my gas tank contents on the ground thru the air box.

The problem i have been having is that when i start the bike it runs great but, if i accidently stall it it will not re-start and if i crank it for 10 seconds the battery goes immediately dead. This has happen several times however, yesterday it did the stall/wont start and then i jump started it as i always do, when i took the jumper cables off the bike the engine quit in 3 seconds. I re-jump started it and it idled and rev'd fine but when i removed the jumper cables it again quit. I realized my headlamp was on so i shut it off and started the bike but, with the headlamp off it idled fine off the cables. If i turn on the headlamp it stalled. This did not happen again after i recharged the battery. Headlamp on and idles fine. I find i must recharge the battery about every 2 weeks to keep it up. I only drive 2 mile to work.

mystery

Garry
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Stalls, wont start, battery dies

[quote="earlfor"]Its no mystery at all. :-) If you only ride the bike 2 miles to work each day, that is not enough time to put any charge into the battery. The amount of electricity you are using up in starting the bike is greater than your charging output for a 2 mile ride. The amount of electrical energy consumed by turning over the starter for 10 seconds would probably take about 30 minutes of riding at highway speeds to replenish.

Earl

Gotta give myself a slap for missing that, Earl.

When you drive short distances only, the battery suffers, as Earl has said, but a peculiarity develops: the Regulator is constantly allowing maximum voltage and amperage through, and this causes the battery fluid to bubble, which encourages evaporation or overflow.

You still have to check your fluids and charge it slowly.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X