Cleaning up the controls cafe style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up the controls cafe style.

I have seen some various pics on here mostly on the cafe style bikes where people have cleaned up / or deleted allot of the extra controls on the handle bars and simplified them. Does any one have any tips or directions as to what wires you disconnect or bypass.

I want to go for the really stripped down bare essentials look.
    Clutch, front brake, throttle, thats it.

I have replaced the square head light with round and removed all gauges, key/ignition and mounted a remote switch for ignition only but I would like to do the rest.

Clutch/neutral safety wire (would like to delete)

lights (would like to mount a small switch in/on the headlight bucket)

Kill switch / start button (would like to buy new start switch and relocate)

Not sure how to go about all of this but I would like to do it.

I have a plain throttle tube / assembly I can use but need to figure out where to run the new starter wires to.

The bike is an 81 GS750 with clubman bars on it.

I know allot of people are going to say dont remove all the safety and kill switches but I have been riding for years and never actually needed any of them. Besides I like that clean bare bones look.

Thanks in advance.

You could keep the stock wiring and just snake the non essential wires through the frame. Exile cycles does this as do most custom bike builders.

Comment

I did this to 79 850. The clutch/neutral was easy. I just unscrewed the piece on the lever, cut the wires shorter and connected them. I think they were yellow/green. I kept my kill switch, but got rid of the starter button spring and wire inside the housing. The button sits flush now. For my lights I completely changed the wiring. I took the headlight wire to a 2 position toggle switch which runs my hdlight and taillight. . In the hdlight bucket I have a 3 pos. toggle. HI/LO/OFF. There are two wires that ran up to the original hdlight switch that you have connect. the wires were red/white and green/white and had connectors underneath the seat that plugged into each other. Hope this helps. I am not an expert and haven't had my bike running this way yet(carb issues). I have had the ignition on and everything worked though

Comment

yep, like BCwesty said, the neutral switch is really really easy to remove.

Comment

Thanks guys. The one that I wasnt sure about was the lights.

Comment

pics. and id like to do away with the chunky controls entirely.

Comment

Working...
            X