FOUR inch spacer?!? Need quick help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOUR inch spacer?!? Need quick help.

Just got my progressive springs today for the 80 750L, no spacers are included in this package per the instructions and the literature says that this bike requires FOUR INCH spacers????

Isnt that a little extreme?

Anyone put Progressives in a 77-82 750 E or L that wants to give me some advice here? Would like to start and finish this job tonight.

Thanks GSR!

If you do a search you can probably find instructions on how to determine the correct size spacers for you. Mine are about 3 and 7/8 inches long, maybe a bit more.

Comment

I have not done it on your specific model but with my OEM spacer and PVC combo I am in that area as well. On my directions it did not give a specific dimension for my model but noted to keep the spacer/spring combo even with the top of the fork before cap installation and that has worked out pretty well, maybe still a touch soft but worlds above the OEM. My L forks have the leading axle, air fitting and threaded cap. I do not run air in them anymore. Enjoy the new springs, you will not believe the difference.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

On my G the spacers were about 90mm from memory. Just use thick walled (1/8") PVC pipe of similar diameter to the spring.

To determine the right size... you put the springs in & then the spacer should come up to the top of the threads in the fork tubes.

I did this on my G - it's fine I'm 165lb. 15 wt oil. On my Skunk I went about 1/2" above the threads because I wanted it a but stiffer.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

btw, groundshock, i FREAKING LOVE how your bike looks.....always wanted to tell you....

greg
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            To determine the right size... you put the springs in & then the spacer should come up to the top of the threads in the fork tubes.
            That might work after somebody else has done all the trial and error part of it, but the real way to determine the right size is to measure the amount of 'sag' in the suspension. General rule of thumb is that you want about 1/4 of your available travel used as 'sag'.

To determine 'sag', you will need a helper. Put the bike on the centerstand to minimize the weight on the front wheel. You want it at full extension. Measure from the fender to the bottom triple tree. Now take the bike off the centerstand, sit on it, bounce a little to get the suspension to settle, have your helper measure again. Most of our bikes have about 6 inches of travel on the front wheel, so you are looking for a difference of no more than 1.5 inches. If you dropped more than that, you need more preload, therefore, longer spacers. If you dropped less than that, you need shorter spacers. A difference of 1/4 inch might be noticeable to some riders. Note that, depending on the spring rate and the weight of the bike, the springs might not compress at all until you put your weight on the bike. That is not a problem. It just shows that the spring rate is correct.

Same principle applies to rear suspension, but there you only have about 3 or 4 inches to play with, so you are looking for 3/4 to 1 inch of 'sag'. Adjust your preload collars to achieve that. Do it again with your passenger or traveling/camping load to see what changes you need to make.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There ya go, no need to search. This is exactly how I did mine, and they came out just right.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                btw, groundshock, i FREAKING LOVE how your bike looks.....always wanted to tell you....

greg
                Thank you. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Yep, Steve's way is the proper scientific way

My way worked out pretty good for me though It won't be too far wrong if you want a base point to start with (& ride with if you're short of time & want to get back on the road).

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Only one problem, no centerstand.

Comment

Put a jack under the front end somewhere... you should be able to support it on the frame somewhere. You only need to take the weight off (get someone to help you & hold it for additional support).

Failing that... do it my way & ride it, see how it feels.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                      X