Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High revs spark break down gs 550 1980

Hi All
    Still on the path of rectfing my "rev limiter" problem, my bike revs out (like a limiter) between 8000 AND 9000 RPM and black smokes at these revs too. I have done all i can to the carbs and NOTHING has improved or got worse as far as carburation goes, so Ime looking at electrics as the source of the fault.
    I had a similar problem on a yamha 2 stoke when the battery power got to low the bike would cough and splutter really badly, a charge of the battery would bring back correct running and to a degree this seems to be the problem with my GS 550 but only at the top of the rev range as describe previously what would cause a lack of electrical power at the high rev range?
    The bike has new points,new condensors,new coils and new plugs B8E-S
    Lastly the battery loses charge after running the bike for a short while
    could it be I am running the bike purley on battery power? by the way the battery is brand new and charges right back up on a worshop charger
    thanks Roy
    ps I installed 4 x HT IGNITION TESTERS between the plugs and plug tops these show the conditon of the power supply to the plugs and illuminate really well right thru the rev range but seem to dim when the "limiter" problem kicks in just like the lights in my garage when the air compressor kicks in
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM.

I had that problem at about 6 grand on my 1980 1000G. Was like hitting a wall. Turned out to be a bad ignitor (replaced with Dyna S). I also had a coil that was going down as well.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You might try your test again withe the battery fully charged and the reg completly disconnected to eliminate it as a problem.. Could be ign too as Salty said.

Comment

Originally posted by basta View Post
        Hi All

Lastly the battery loses charge after running the bike for a short while
        could it be I am running the bike purley on battery power? by the way the battery is brand new and charges right back up on a worshop charger
        Sounds like this would be a good place to start troubleshooting your electrical. If you haven't run through the stator papers, I would check them out (Found here http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm) and troubleshoot your charging system.

Comment

Working...
        X