Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltpak R/R

Hello, all.

I have a 1981 GS750L that has recently been resurrected from a long sleep. While doing some other work recently, I noticed that the regulator/rectifier was not OEM. I unscrewed it, turned it over, and found that it is a Voltpak KS made by Action Engineering in Riverside, CA.

I haven't been able to find out very much online about this R/R, so I'm hoping maybe some of you may have heard of this unit, and can advise me whether this is a decent aftermarket product, or if I should be shopping for another before I fry my alternator!

TIA,

Kevin

What does your voltmeter tell you about it? If the output is good, there is no need to replace it.

On the other hand, if you just want to have a spare sitting around, you can get one from GSR member Duaneage. He has the better Honda units that he has tested available for $40 or so.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have not specifically tested the unit. The bike runs like a scalded dog when I twist on it, so I'm going to say the black box is working well . The bike had just 9k original miles when I got it, so I made some assumptions that it was all OEM. I guess the PO either knew about the weaknesses of the electrical system or was looking for an upgrade. That's what frustrates me about the lack of information about this particular R/R: is it an upgrade or a fix?

Comment

Hi Mr. geisterfahrer,

I found this from: http://www.eurospares.com/rital1.htm
        ***********Quote*********************
        Voltpak Solid-state Regulator/rectifiers

IMPORTANT NEWS

As of 16 April 1999 the single and three-phase permanent magnet alternator and excited field 3-phase Voltpaks are no longer available. The company that has been manufacturing them for Action Engineering no longer has room in their production capability for the Voltpaks, due largely to supplying a large US manufacturer with their OEM regulator/rectifier units. Action Engineering is out of stock of the above models as is Euro Spares. I'm keeping the Voltpak instructions on the website as a service to those who might find them of use.

I've reproduced here a typical instruction sheet for the Voltpak. The files are 50-60K in size, and some of the pages didn't have all the text on them, due to previous copying errors, so I've mentioned the missing text next to the appropriate link.
        The model KS is the three-phase permanent-magnet rotor alternator unit. It can also be fitted to two-wire single phase alternators by using the two outer yellow wires from the Voltpak for connecting to the alternator. The RX is for excited-field three-phase systems

Voltpak Model KS instructions - page 1
        Voltpak Model KS instructions - page 2 The bottom line is: "diagrams found in each motorcycle's shop manual can provide useful guidance".
        Voltpak Model KS instructions - page 3 The bottom line is: "shown in figure-C".
        Voltpak Model KS instructions - page 4 The top line is: "Connect Voltpak-KS unit's three YELLOW wires to the alternator leads (see figure-C)".
        Voltpak Model RX instructions - page 1
        Voltpak Model RX instructions - page 2
        ****************End Quote********************

I think the "large US manufacturer", for which they are now making OEM r/r units, is that domestic big v-twin company.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks, Mr. BC. I visited that site on your recommendation, and found some useful information. It doesn't answer all my questions, and the PO has gone on to a better place, so I'm afraid some things are just lost to history .

My plan now is to leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it .

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

I think the "large US manufacturer", for which they are now making OEM r/r units, is that domestic big v-twin company.

Which one? There are at least two now, ya know...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Nice diagram.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That looks like an illustration from an old John Muir "How to Keep Your _____ Alive" manual. Good stuff

Comment

Working...
                X