Starting my bike....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my bike....

I have a 78 GS750, just learning everyting about it. It seems like every time I go to start it, it will fire right up, run for about 2 seconds, then die. After that it is hard to start. How should I be going about this? I choke it, set the petcock to prime and hit the key. How do you start yours?

I know that when my bike dies it likes to be turned off before trying to start again.

Comment

Prime shouldn't be necessary. I think a lot of bikes do this. My two suzukies both did that. Though it shouldn't be hard to start after the initial kick over... Do a valve adjustment and a carb cleaning and you should fire up nice and quick!

Comment

Well I just rebuilt the carbs, and re set the timing and points. It really runs great, just hard to start. Valve adjustment huh, have a link for the how toos? So this is normal to start hard? What causes it?

Comment

Yea, people say to do it often (every 4k or so). Just over time, things change. Other people can give you specifics, but all you need to know is how to do it. Well it is easy and on BassCliff's website. Also, use the search. There are, I believe, 48275 posts on here about doing it!

Comment

Set the fuel to prime,full choke,NO throttle,start and let it warm up using the choke to adjust the revs(still NO throttle).Fuel back to run.Cheers,Simon.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

These bikes are definitely cold blooded. I start mine as per Simon's instructions but I don't switch to prime. Even in 90+ temps she likes choke for first start of the day. Once warmed, she'll start with one prod of the button.

I think this is common to old Jap iron as my Yammies all started the same way.

I remember reading some where that they were designed this way to meet emission standards of the late 70's and early 80's.

Use the choke ( actually enricher) and see if it helps.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Spyug old mate.The reason that I go to prime is because I've removed the vacuum line from my petcock.Sorry for any confusion.Cheers,Simon.
                http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

I think this is common to old Jap iron as my Yammies all started the same way.

Jap is not the prefered nomenclature: Asian-American please.

Comment

Working...
                  X