Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another starter question....

hi guys.

ok, i am trying to troubleshoot some things here. my bike kickstarts fine. but when i push the starter button, i get a "clack" from the relay, but no starty. well, usually. sometimes, it starts, infrequently. when i short the relay terminals, it ROARS to life with great ferocity. so....where does the problem lie? in the wiring from the start button and back to the relay? i would think if i am getting the clack that the relay is working....i have clean connections from the relay to the battery, and relay to starter motor. any ideas? i "think" i cleaned the switches in the controls last winter...but, i might be imagining all that...

thanks!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

oh, my battery is showing 12.4 volts. i should throw it on the charger for a night, shouldnt i? it IS due to be replaced next season.... oh, and my charging system is working, thanks to the stator papers and duaneage.

Comment

If it starts by jumping the relay than I would say the relay is bad.
      By the way I have a couple of extra ones if you need one.

A loud clack is also a sign of a bad ground from the battery or a loose connection somewhere on the way to the starter.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i dunno if i would say it was a loud clack. but, the noticeable click of the relay. how do i test the relay for goodness?

Comment

ok, well, i jumpered from the battery to the small (control, from the starter button) terminal on the relay, still a click with no starter action. sounds like the relay, right?

Comment

So you jumped straight from the battery to the small connection of the relay that comes from the clutch safety switch and get a click.
            If you lay a screwdriver over the two main connections on the relay you get nice starter action?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

correct. im thinking, relay. gotta be.

Comment

G'day Greg.I'm thinking your thinking is correct.The contacts burn because they're switching high current D.C.If your battery volts are down a bit,the current you are pulling to crank the engine will go up which pulls your volts down further,which drops your volts to your coils etc,etc.If you're going to replace your battery,I'd suggest one of those acid gel mat (AGM ?) ones.They cost a bit but are worth it.My old girl used to be a bitch to start when the weather is COLD.Now she fires like she's already been warmed up.Heaps better cold cranking.Turn Wolfmother up LOWD and hit the road.Cheers,Simon.
                http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
                X